Just got my first batch of Phoenix worms, initial impression

pba110

Established Member
I have to say the packaging makes this product seem pretty exciting. The large phoenix worms are still pretty damn small. I think a juvi cham could still easly handle them.
They are stored in a moist sawdust like material that sticks to them like crazy. Sort of a PITA to get that stuff off. The instructions say the darker the worm, the higher the Ca content. I've fed about 10 to Leon and he doesn't go wild for them by any means but eats them. However, he's not picky, I can get him to eat anything out of my hand. He's been imprinted to that.
I purchased 400 for like $28 which is roughly $0.14/worm. So, it's more expensive than crix, but they require nothing and are supposed to last for months.
Now though I'm not sure how I should alter my Ca supplementation as these are supposed to have the ideal ratio for reptiles.
What's everyone else doing?

When I bought Phoenix worms it had instructions on the tub about how to get the sawdust stuff off of them. It said to put the worms you are going to feed off into a cup or such like and leave them for a bit. The 'substrate' will then dry and you can give the cup a shake and the substrate will come off. It works too! :D

I don't dust my pheonix worms, I don't feed them everyday as a staple either.

The larges look small, but they should be, since are the maggot of the Soldier fly.

Be sure to store them in a cool place, and add a few drops of water every few days for moisture.

-Jay

cool, I would like to see these sold in a pet store, i wonder why they haven't transitioned into that?

Petco sells them as calci-grubs, i dont know if they still do because I saw this like a year ago.

I saw them in there... I knew what they were and just for fun asked the sales people if they knew anything about them.. got the usual petsore answer :rolleyes:. After they walked away, I opened the container up to look at them, as I do with all my store bought feeders to find they were all close to being completely decomposed. again... :rolleyes:

I saw them in there... I knew what they were and just for fun asked the sales people if they knew anything about them.. got the usual petsore answer :rolleyes:. After they walked away, I opened the container up to look at them, as I do with all my store bought feeders to find they were all close to being completely decomposed. again... :rolleyes:

Hahaha....thats why I hate chain petstores.

Back
Top Bottom