Just got back from Hamm (Reptile Expo)...

Ferrah88

...and found Marimo a girlfriend! Finally, after almost a year of searching. She's quite a dear :) Her name is Midori.

rcms6p.jpg

We also had a bit of an unexpected and unintentional purchase... He's going into Yuki's old vivarium until he grows bigger ;) His name is Ryuu.

30xbsdt.jpg

I'd have liked to get better pictures of the two of them, but it's already bedtime for them. Perhaps I can get some better pictures tomorrow!

For now, enjoy! :D

They're adorable. :) Congratulations.

Thank you! :)

When I saw the picture of the elliot's from afar, my heart skipped a beat. They are REALLY hard to find and this was the only table that had them. I was hysterical and could not stop thanking the breeder for having them. I was just so happy!

Congrats on your new additions! By any chance did you take any pics of the rest of the show? I know those of us here in the States would love to see them! :D

Congrats on your new additions! By any chance did you take any pics of the rest of the show? I know those of us here in the States would love to see them! :D

Nope, no pictures were allowed :( Lots of signs saying such! Just imagine a crowded hall and having to "swim" through tons of people. It was also really warm, so it smelled. I would never want to go in the summer! I loved seeing all the animals, but I an completely exhausted from it.

Chameleons weren't all that common to see either. What yo could see was snakes. LOTS of snakes. If you ever want to get a snake, go there! If you have a phobia of them.. well... you might want to reconsider depending on how squeamish you are :rolleyes:

While some of the animals go home in decent containers, the one that Ryuu was in was tiny, he could barely move. On the almost 2 hour long drive back home, I let him out a bit. He seemed to love the idea of being out and about finally. So much that I couldn't bare to put him in the container again and took him to the pet store about 40 minutes from home. They gave me a nice roomy container for him so that we could quickly grab something from the store before it closes. He was reluctant to go in, but it was certainly 10x bigger at least.

Congrats on the new additions! I'm loving Midori's name, that's really pretty.

Thank you! :D Midori means green in japanese, which compliments Marimo's name which is the name of those green balls of moss that you can buy for aquariums. Kind of work like sponges :D

Can't wait to see them all tomorrow and see how they are coping in their new homes. That way I can make any specific adjustments for each individual asap! Yuki needs a bigger plant in her new 24 x 24 x 48 inch vivarium... the ones I bought seem too small :eek: We're planning on cutting some branches from her free range tree and putting that in there with her since she loves it so much. Hopefully it fits!

Thanks for the info - I can't imagine not being able to take pics at a show! I'm not sure if you've ever been to a US show, but they seem to be full of ball pythons. I don't mind snakes, but I do get a little bored seeing the same things over and over. I can appreciate a nice morph, but my hubby forbids snakes as pets, so they are mostly ignored. A nice green tree python however would be fantastic! :eek:

Great pick-ups! Any idea how old the female Elliot's is?

No, sadly not! I believe she would be around 3 months though, judging by her size. Maybe even a bit younger, but not much. She can MAYBE eat flies, but I'm not sure if they're too big for her, that's how small she is! She has a couple of flies with her now, I'll have to see if she eats them else I will need to pick up some fruit flies tomorrow.

Thanks for the info - I can't imagine not being able to take pics at a show! I'm not sure if you've ever been to a US show, but they seem to be full of ball pythons. I don't mind snakes, but I do get a little bored seeing the same things over and over. I can appreciate a nice morph, but my hubby forbids snakes as pets, so they are mostly ignored. A nice green tree python however would be fantastic! :eek:

Never been to one in the US :( When I lived in Canada, my parents wouldn't bring me to such things. Maybe because I was too young or because they KNEW I would want everything!

There were a lot of boas and ball pythons, but a lot of other snakes. I saw some vipers, tree snakes... lots of variety in colours and shapes and sizes. The coolest things I saw were the anaconda and monitor lizards. I even saw a couple of gila monsters with a giant skull on their box!

Is the elliot captive bred ? I can't wait for more pictures - good luck with her. I've only once seen them at a show here and they were in the processes of being bought- I wish you the best of luck with them

Is the elliot captive bred ? I can't wait for more pictures - good luck with her. I've only once seen them at a show here and they were in the processes of being bought- I wish you the best of luck with them

Yes she is captive bred :) Marimo is as well! They really are hard to come by... there was only 3 left when I found the stand. The guy had had 14. SO happy though, she is adorable :)

Great find ! I hope you take lots and lots of pictures - I'm glad to hear of anyone breeding elliot's even if it is across the ocean -

Congrats! They are both adorable :)

Thank you :D I'll be sure to let them know!

Great find ! I hope you take lots and lots of pictures - I'm glad to hear of anyone breeding elliot's even if it is across the ocean -

I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't. They're awesome chameleons! Marimo has as much colour as a mini panther when fired up, but obviously not as bright or visible. You have to look really close to see the orange and yellows he has :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been really worried that Midori was so stressed that she wasn't eating. She has been darker in colour for a longer time and it was really worrying. Yesterday however, I caught her eating! She's a bit lighter in colour now too, so it seems that it took her almost a week to settle in, but all seems fine :D

Ryuu on the other hand ate from my hand the first day. He's also learning that the white cup I use for cup feeding means that he should charge me and try and grab things out of the cup while placing it in there. It's really cute how he wobbles on baby legs while running! He seems to be growing fairly quickly and I think he has a shed coming on now, didn't eat a whole lot this morning.

Is it normal that young vieleds do not show stress colours? My hand being in his vivarium should have stressed him out the first days, he was running away from me at first... I have yet to see him any other colour than the normal green you see in the picture on the first page. Yuki was totally different when she was younger (after getting healthier), always displaying her stressed colours when I came around, despite looking forward to her food. Just wanted to know if this was normal for veileds or not :D

I'll see about posting more pictures when I get home, or latest on the weekend!

I know I promised pictures on the weekend, so these are a bit late. Midori was mid-shed and didn't like the camera :D Now that she's all done, here's a picture of the new two! (Ryuu is due for a shed as well, he looks slightly dull at the moment...)

Ryuu:
21sl1k.jpg

His legs look a lot meatier now :D Even if it doesn't look like much between pictures. In real you can tell the difference. He no longer wobbles all over either because he has some muscle on his bones!

Midori:
33a4ao2.jpg

Her colour is showing today for the first time! No more almost black chameleon ;) Also, that is my pinky finger, just so you have something to compare her size too. She's so small! :)

Once Ryuu sheds I will post some more pictures! :D

Back
Top Bottom