Just curious - CITES question

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
The places my brain takes me! :rolleyes: I got to thinking about the availability and exportation of certain locales of panther chameleons, which led me to wonder…when CITES or whatever entity is evaluating whether or not panther chameleons are numerous enough in the wild to continue to be exported, do they include all of the various locales as one or is each taken into consideration on it’s own? Are there limits on exporting each locale?

CITES only lists Furcifer pardalis as one species not in locals. Since Furcifer pardalis thrives in disturbed forest, brush habitat (a non threatened and abundant habitat) and has a high fecundity. Furcifer pardalis is one of a few species of chameleon that is not threatened from over collecting. That is too my knowledge at this time. That is to the degree that in 2014 the CITES Export Quota was raised from 2000 specimens to 3000 specimens.

That could change though as there is some interest with dividing Furcfer pardalis into seprate species not locals. That is something similar to what happened to the Calumma nasutum complex and Calumma brevicorne.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom