Just built a new aluminum screen cage

paczkica

I just built a new 2x2x4 aluminum cage. I live in Canada so buying the already made cages is not as easy, so I decided to make my own. I was suprised how easy it was, I built wood cages before and it usually takes me forever and I always run into some kind of problem. This was quick, and fairly cheap, probably about 150$ because I also needed some tools, I could probably make them for under 80 now with the supplies I have. Looks awesome too. Im already thinking of building another 8x4x2 and dividing it into 4 cages, but I am getting ahead of myself, as I dont even have a chameleon to put into this one at the moment. Ill post pictures soon, I still have to put the door on tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the pictures. It's fun building the cages, yeah? lol It's addicting. lol I have ideas and just want to keep building.

Of course after I said it was easy I encounter the problems. Hanging the door wasnt as easy as i thought. The screen wasnt going in right, my saw that I was cutting the aluminum with got really dull and threw shrapnel all over the room, and the hinges were being a major pain in the butt. Now I just have to put the bottom door on and the bottom and I'll be done, hopefully pictures tomorrow.

Isn't that always the way... lol But you'll get through it and the challenges it put to you will make it a lot meatier of a victory. I'm sure it will all turn out great.

cage.jpg

Well my girlfriend has the good camera, so I had to take one with the camcorder so it isnt very clear, its got a solid bottom, 2 front doors, 4x2x2, it should get the job done!

thanks, that sounds 50x better than a wood cage! i defiantly gonna go with this design. could you include the list of parts and tools needed?

You need about 11 4' section of screen frame, 3 3' sections of screen frame, i had about 25' by 3' of fiberglass screen and i might have 5 or 6 feet left over, i bought 75' of screen spline and have maybe 10' left over. A bunch of sheet metal screws, a drill for pilot holes. Some kind of saw, hacksaw or chopsaw or mitersaw or something to cut the frame pieces to size. You need 7 packs of the screen corners, they come with enough to make 1 side, so you need one for the 4 sides, top, and 2 doors. Also the roller thing you use to spline the screen to the frame, looks like a pizza cutter should be near the screen supplies. And a knife to cut the screen. Here is a link to a forum post with good directions on making it, I dont like his design but it helps with putting the screen together and stuff http://www.repticzone.com/forums/CagesandEnclosures/messages/286449.html . Sorry the post is all over the place I dont remember exactly what I used cause I went to home depot to get more stuff like 4 times. Oh, and 5 hinges and a couple things to hold the door closed, I used some hoop and hook things that screw into the door. And whatever you want to use for the bottom, pvc plastic if you can find it, i used a couple sheets of corrugated plastic.

Last edited:
The cage looks great. How long did it take you to put it together? Also about how much did all of the supplies cost to get the job done if you don't mind me asking?

How well does the fiberglass screen hold? I'm working on my cage at the moment but can't decide on screen material. I'm also concerned about crickets chewing on it and accidentally ripping it. Have you used any other screen material?

It probably cost around 100 canadian for all the supplies, tools that i needed and other various things brought it up to about 150.
I was going to use aluminum screen, but its so hard to work with and I hear its harder on the chams nails. I plan on cup feeding my crickets, but even if i didnt I couldnt see crickets chewing being a huge problem, fiberglass is really easy to work with, I think it looks better, and its pretty strong. Also even if it is damaged some how, it wouldnt be hard to replace every once and a while.

The cage looks really good. But I am afraid of fiberglass screen. The way it was to my skin made me realize I could not have my cham crawling on it. Tiny painful shards and itchiness. I am sensitive, but then, so are chams. I'm surprized no one else has said anything.

Are you talking about fiberglass or fiberglass screen? fiberglass screen is soft, like a cloth, there are no tiny shards or anything to make you itchy.

Help!

is it made of a window screen kit?

Hi,I am 19 girl from Bulgaria.I need someone who could help me with the cage construction,because everybody tell me different things and i am very confused!Please if you can help me,tell me measures for the cage and the materials which i must buy!I am thinking about the supliances in it...and if you know something please write as soos as you can!Thanks a lot

Fiberglass aint good if you feed you have crickets running around in your cage. Eventually they will eat through it and you'll have crickets runing around in your living room. If your going to use screening, use aluminum. Its more expensive but breach free.
my 2 cents.:)

It probably cost around 100 canadian for all the supplies, tools that i needed and other various things brought it up to about 150.
I was going to use aluminum screen, but its so hard to work with and I hear its harder on the chams nails. I plan on cup feeding my crickets, but even if i didnt I couldnt see crickets chewing being a huge problem, fiberglass is really easy to work with, I think it looks better, and its pretty strong. Also even if it is damaged some how, it wouldnt be hard to replace every once and a while.

how much time did it take you to screen all the frames?

Back
Top Bottom