New cage, what lights ?

ashleyyhobson

Hi I just built a new cage over the weekend for my chameleon , it's 2x3x5 ft and before I sit and wait to see how it goes , I have the arcadia right now ,I need a bigger one or another one but is the jungle 6% going to be enough when I add in the rest of the sticks and plants in today ?I plan to make it very bushy, and i Saw something about someone using 12 % when using Alot of plants, any advice helps 🫶 ,

Attachments

• 20230606_110544.jpg
    20230606_110544.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 43
Are you using standard aluminum window screen for the top panel that the light sits on?

General rule is 6% unless you have a meter.

Even if its bushy, there could still be spots that are in the danger zone with a 12%. Now if you had a meter you could just raise the 12% up, cover more area, and be at 6% levels.

So id buy a meter if you have the cash, and tune the 12% to cover that 3ft wide section.

General rule is 6% unless you have a meter.

Even if its bushy, there could still be spots that are in the danger zone with a 12%. Now if you had a meter you could just raise the 12% up, cover more area, and be at 6% levels.

So id buy a meter if you have the cash, and tune the 12% to cover that 3ft wide section.
Okay I'll just stick to the 6% I already have a 12 bulb so I'll buy a meter and test it out, thankyou!

Yes using the standard aluminum only on the top. The rest is Phifer pet mesh
Then you want to use the 6% bulb and you want a distance of 8-9 inches to the basking branches below. This will put the cham in the correct UVI level.

I personally would not use a 12% bulb. The thing about UVB is that if your cage is all overgrown meaning the basking branches have plants above them they are going to block the UVB. So keeping your basking branches below the UVB bulb open without obstruction will take care of any issues of lack of UVB. A 12% is very strong and pushes the UVI level farther down. The issue with that is they can end up in over exposure levels at the branch. So most people raise up the UVB fixture to compensate. IMO it really is not needed to go with a 12% that you have to raise since you can achieve the needed levels with the 6% at the 8-9 inches away.

Now you may consider adding plant lighting. The UVB light will not support plant growth for plants that require higher light.

Back
Top Bottom