Just Amazing

lotus

My son's female Veiled Chameleon laid her first clutch, he was very excited to see 34 eggs. I have put them into a rubbermaid container with the sand that was used for laying. I have placed this on the heated floor in our laundry room and I have no idea what the heck do we do now? Do I need a lid on this? Do I need some sort of heat light? Do I need to mist the sand? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sharon

You should use coarse vermiculite or get a bag of Hatchrite sand will not retain water and will dry out faster. You want to keep the humidity constant along with the temperature. I not familiar with incubation temperature for veiled chameleons I believe 80 max so you want to keep an eye on that . I would get hatchrite if you never did this before and keep a tight lid on it with a small air hole on each side. If you use vermiculite add water until you can squeeze a drop or two out of it. After about 2 or 3 months check the wetness you shouldn't have to add water for 4 or 5 months keep eggs in a dark warm place. Don't constantly open the lid to check eggs if you use clear plastic you can see them.

Last edited:
Congratulations!

If you do move the eggs in order to follow Dean's advice, just BE SURE you keep their current orientation, i.e., do not roll them to the side. Which ever side of the egg is upright at this point, needs to remain upright. Otherwise the baby will not develop.

SOme people mark the current top of the egg with nontoxic marker before moving them.

You said..."Do I need a lid on this?"...yes, you do. The vermiulite method described to you already is the best substrate in my experience.

You said..."Do I need some sort of heat light?"...you want the eggs to be in the dark IMHO. The eggs are in the dark in nature and it has been reported that the light can decrease the hatching success. The eggs can be incubated at about 76 to 78 F. The range can vary somewhat and they will still hatch. The warmth affects the length of incubation required to hatching.

You said..."Do I need to mist the sand?"...if set up properly and when checking on the eggs the lid is not left off for more than a couple of seconds you won't likely have to add water. If you do, don't add it on the eggs...add it around the edges of the container.

Good luck! Hope you have patience!

Back
Top Bottom