Just a few general questions

AverageChameleons

Hello !

I'm brand new to these forums, and i was wondering if you all would have some answers to a few questions i have.
I have read up on a couple other threads while i was waiting for my account to be approved and you all seem like helpful and nice people so here are my questions.

I have yet to get my Chameleon friend and i was wondering if any of you could recommend me a local breeder in the new York area.
I've been wanting one for a while now and i read that pet stores are not the best for buying Chameleons.

and if i where to get a veiled cham what would be the best enclosure for the little guy.
i hope i get some answers for you all

Thank you for taking some time to read this!

If you use wood, make sure it won't rot or decay. As for the mesh, I would say something that won't let feeders through and won't tear easily. I didn't build my own enclosure, so I'm just saying things off the top of my head.
@jamest0o0 You built your own enclosure for your Parson's right?

Hello !

I'm brand new to these forums, and i was wondering if you all would have some answers to a few questions i have.
I have read up on a couple other threads while i was waiting for my account to be approved and you all seem like helpful and nice people so here are my questions.

I have yet to get my Chameleon friend and i was wondering if any of you could recommend me a local breeder in the new York area.
I've been wanting one for a while now and i read that pet stores are not the best for buying Chameleons.

and if i where to get a veiled cham what would be the best enclosure for the little guy.
i hope i get some answers for you all

Thank you for taking some time to read this!
I would recommend you read through this entire husbandry program. It will give you a feel for the depth of care involved. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is an expensive hobby to get into FYI. Everything you need adds up.
I have all dragon strand cages indoors. I did build an outdoor one which was a lot of work. You have to seal all the wood and make the bottom leak proof. If your good at building this may be right for you.

Last edited:
Ok, so if i where to build one, anything specific i could use to make it?
like any specific mesh or you know
Wood, aluminum, PVC...
I would spend some considerable time in the Enclosures And Supplies forum, viewing the Enclosure Pictures threads for ideas. More ideas can be found on google:
DIY chameleon enclosure

There are also many threads discussing various mesh & materials, which can be found in the archives (search facility).

I would recommend you read through this entire husbandry program. It will give you a feel for the depth of care involved. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

This is an expensive hobby to get into FYI. Everything you need adds up.
I have all dragon strand cages indoors. I did build an outdoor one which was a lot of work. You have to seal the wood and make it leak proof if it is indoors. If your good at building this may be right for you.
Alright i'll defiantly take a look into that , and ill make sure to take the other's comments into suggestion as well.
looks like i'll have a lot to read up on!

Thank you!
I'll make sure to look into everything and make sure i have a proper enclosure ready before i buy the cham.

Hi and welcome! :D There are a lot of different options for enclosures...from make your own, to cheap Repti Breeze to the best, Dragon Strand. It all depends on your budget and diy skills. Being a new keeper, I would suggest staying with a screen enclosure rather than glass as it’s easier to manage humidity and drainage. No one has mentioned size yet. Whichever option you choose, keep in mind that the minimum size requirement is 2x2x4’ or equivalent for an adult. Chameleons are arboreal, so they need height and feel safest when they are higher than us. Hope this helps a little.

Alright i'll defiantly take a look into that , and ill make sure to take the other's comments into suggestion as well.
looks like i'll have a lot to read up on!

Thank you!
I'll make sure to look into everything and make sure i have a proper enclosure ready before i buy the cham.
It awesome that you're doing research on your chams husbandry before you get him/her.But what I do notice alot of people don't research signs of sickness and what sicknesses chams can get. So word advice research it all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom