Joshus Frogs

Karancon

Doing a shout out to these guys. Just got 500 crickets and they are the most active bunch I've ever bought. Steve is having a great time hunting them down. I didn't see 1 dead one in the box. Also ordered blue bottle fly spikes - my guy is not a worm eater, but he is loving the flies Me not so much.... Question for the group: I haven't been attempting to dust the flies with anything. Should I? He is 12 weeks old - eating about a dozen crickets a day, and now I've added about 4-6 flies. He is growing like crazy and looks great. We got him from FL Chams.

If he's eating dusted crickets I wouldn't worry about dusting the flies. I see flies as more for enrichment. I don't think they offer a whole lot of nutrition, but they are very stimulating. Most chameleons can't resist.

If you do want to dust them, pop them in the fridge for 30 seconds. That should slow them down and allow you to dump into a dusting cup.

I personally don't dust them since my Chameleon's main diet is dusted. These are just treats.

If he's eating dusted crickets I wouldn't worry about dusting the flies. I see flies as more for enrichment. I don't think they offer a whole lot of nutrition, but they are very stimulating. Most chameleons can't resist.

If you do want to dust them, pop them in the fridge for 30 seconds. That should slow them down and allow you to dump into a dusting cup.

I personally don't dust them since my Chameleon's main diet is dusted. These are just treats.

What about gut loading them? Is it possible? I think I read something about bee pollen - I will try to pop them in the fridge before I feed them - this morning 10 flew out....took 5 minutes for him to catch them all- it was crazy!

To answer your questions, here's what I do:

Hatch all of the bottleflies at room temp in a deli cup. Leave some bee pollen mixed with honey at the bottom. Once they're all hatched and eating, I put the cup in the fridge as mentioned. This seems to keep them alive longer. Usually once a week I'll feed 20ish of them to each chameleon. I let them warm up for a little bit a day before I feed them off to make sure they're gutloaded and then put them back in the fridge an hour or so before feeding. When I take them out I put whatever supplement is due for that day in the cup and shake them around. Then just add them to the cage and shut the door and you're all set.

This is a great opportunity to get your Cham honey, more specifically Manuka honey apparently has anti bacterial and immune system boosting properties, along with all of the other benefits that come along with honey.

Chams love them too! Goodluck

Back
Top Bottom