Joseph won't climb

Cprav

I've had Joseph, a veiled chameleon, for about 4 years. He lives in a 5ft tall cage with logs for climbing. He's always eaten Romaine lettuce and crickets. A waterfountain is at the bottom of the cage. He's very lazy. When he wants to get to the bottom he usually jumps. We were worried at first, but he's always done it, so we just make sure to give him lots of calcium with his crickets.

He's never had any problems and we haven't been doing anything different. Five days ago he went to the bottom and he hasn't gone back up. He sleeps a lot, but he has had some water, from the fountain and mistings. I've fed him lettuce and crickets, but he didn't eat the lettuce and although he tracked the crickets, I'm not sure if he ate any, although he may have.

There are no chameleon vets here.

Any ideas? Is he a lost cause, or just recuperating from a bad jump?

Thanks!

Can you post pictures of your enclosure?
I don't like that you have a water fountain in there.
What are you gut loading his feeders with?
What supplements are you using besides Calcium?
Does the Calcium contain D3?
Is he only getting crickets?
Follow the link that Royden provided and fill out that info.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

-Brad

Well... I mean,since youve had it for 4 years WITH a water fountain,u must do a very good job at keeping it clean.

Can you post pictures of your enclosure?
I don't like that you have a water fountain in there.
What are you gut loading his feeders with?
What supplements are you using besides Calcium?
Does the Calcium contain D3?
Is he only getting crickets?
Follow the link that Royden provided and fill out that info.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

-Brad

He's had the water fountain for the entire time. Because he didn't seem to drink the misting.
crickets have always eaten romaine lettuce, fish flakes and things like carrots, fruit on the odd occasion and their cage is always lined with dry dog food.
Always just the calcium. That's what was recommended...
Yes to the D3 (also A and C)
He gets crickets and romaine lettuce. the occasion collard leaves etc.

Lighting?
basking and ambient temperatures?

Fountains are usually not recommended, as they can often breed bacteria. A lot of chameleons don't appear to drink, that's why it's best to check urates for hydration instead of actual drinking habits.

Are you using a substrate that could've got impacted?

Has he been deficating?

If you filled out that info in the 'how to ask for help' thread, we would be able to help you better. I know it's a pain, but it prevents red flags from being missed. If you want the best help possible, you need to post as much info as possible. Pictures would be really helpful too.

I think this animal is over supplemented (possibly to the point of hypervitaminosis.)
D3 at every feeding and crickets gut loaded with fish flakes and dog food.
This is a recipe for: D3 overdose, preformed Vitamin A overdose, Gular edema, gout, etc, etc.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom