Johnston's Geographical Locations

2by2

I forget who it was, but I saw a post in the photo contest forum tha suggested that Johnstons do not live as far south as Tanzania. Apon further resurch, I havn't been able to find anything that says they do actually live in Tanzania. I know they live in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo (zaire), and Burundi, but I just cant seem to find anything that proves they do live in tanzania. The ones from Burundi look most similar to the ones I've seen come into the country.
I'm almost positive I've seen first choice selling Johnstons from a shipment he got in from Tanzania. I could be completely wrong....I know someone who purchased a pair, and they certainly didn't rival that ruwenzori guy in color at all, so i'm assuming it was from a locale that was more southern. Burundi is right next to Tanzania, so I have to think that its possible that I was right at first, and these guys do actually call tanzania home.
If anybody has, or could point me in the right direction of more and better info, I'd appreciate it.

I was the one who said they don't live in tanzania.

It's ofcourse hard to tell. But following all official documents I've got I can't find any report of a johnstoni found in Tanzania. But it does happen with several species that they've been export true tanzania.

Here in europe I've seen the ruwenzori as the burundi form. They both are absolutly amazing.

Later on today I'll search for more data. At this time I'm still taking care of my own animals! When I find something about locations I'll post them. I know I must have more detailed information somewhere.

The Chamaeleo (Triceros) johnstoni aka Ruwenzori Three-horned Chameleon, Johnston's Chameleon - Their habitats are in the mountain regions of central Africa, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Congo, Rwanda, and Uganda. They live in the tree canopies in forests and villages.

I have more information on them from a book I have written by Petr Necas, if you wish to know more about them. There is no mention of them ranging in Tanzania. It appears that they are an aggressive chameleon towards chameleons, animals, and humans from my readings.

Last edited:
I've been searching.

And All I find and do you know still makes sure they only live in the four known countries.

They live on the mountainridge that lays on the west of Uganda.
So from the A little north of the Ruwenzori then down to the Bwindi national park. And then South to Rwanda and Burundi. And in Congo they only should live on the sloops of the Ruwenzori mountains. And these mountains don't go into Tanzania.

When anybody knows of animals found their I'd love to read some articles about it.

Steven

Thanks guys. Thats interesting info. I'm just perplexed at where nick at First Choice got his from. I know he gets lots of stuff in from Tanzania........I just emailed him to find out exactly where he gets his Johnstons....

Whatever, the case....I love those things!!

P.S - Jenna. I love that book. For some reason I'm an idiot, and havn't bought it yet......Every time I see it, its $60 bucks and it makes me want to cry to spend that kind of money on a book. lol.

It's a fantastic book... has photos of every chameleon out there... good ones too. Definitely worth the buy. I can't seem to read the written part for very long because I keep going back to look at the pictures again lol. Just like a little kid :p .

I really want the Petr Necas books too, in particular the stump tailed chameleon book. I always choke on the $120.00 it would cost for both of them, so I haven't yet. I am sure that as soon as I buy them, someone will have them on Ebay for $20.00. :eek:

Heika

Ch. johnstonii don't live in Tanzania. Nick and others used to bring in shipments of hoehnelii, johnstonii, xenorhinum and ellioti from Uganda. The exporters there are less then reliable from what I hear and their quality is often lacking.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks chris. Your never ending knowledge of what seems like all species of chameleons never ceses to amaze me.
I was aware that they used to export out of uganda, but I thought that was a while back. Apparently its been as recently as a couple years ago. Again, thanks for the info.

Yes, they DO live in Tanzania

I forget who it was, but I saw a post in the photo contest forum tha suggested that Johnstons do not live as far south as Tanzania. Apon further resurch, I havn't been able to find anything that says they do actually live in Tanzania. I know they live in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo (zaire), and Burundi, but I just cant seem to find anything that proves they do live in tanzania. The ones from Burundi look most similar to the ones I've seen come into the country.
I'm almost positive I've seen first choice selling Johnstons from a shipment he got in from Tanzania. I could be completely wrong....I know someone who purchased a pair, and they certainly didn't rival that ruwenzori guy in color at all, so i'm assuming it was from a locale that was more southern. Burundi is right next to Tanzania, so I have to think that its possible that I was right at first, and these guys do actually call tanzania home.
If anybody has, or could point me in the right direction of more and better info, I'd appreciate it.

I lived in Dar es salaam, Tanzania and did a lot of travelling from there to Moshi and Mount Kilimanjaro and surrounding areas. From late April to late July as one drove down the TanZam Highway, one could actually see the occasional chameleon making its oddly-gaited walk across the roadway. You could actually collect a few different specimens of different species in this manner. No, it wasn't all the time / everywhere you looked, but it was actually possible to obtain at least two or three on any given trip.

Back
Top Bottom