Jackson's horns

fredismyboy

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -Jackson's male chameleon. A year and 1 month old. Been in my care for 5 months
Handling - i don't
Feeding - Crickets and silkworms. 5 in the morning. 4 in the afternoon
Supplements - Calcium D3. Once a week
Watering - Drip system. I see him drinking often
Fecal Description - Dark Brown with white and liquid

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, 13x33x28
Lighting - UVB 12 hr during day. heat lamp when its cold at night
Temperature - I use the weather channel. if its hot out, i turn the AC on low. If its cold out i turn the heat lamp on
Humidity - High humidity in Key West, FL
Plants - Hibiscus. Various fake plants
Placement - 33 in off ground. in bedroom
Location - south florida

Current Problem - My chameleon's horns have dark tips. Should I worry, or is this normal?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -Jackson's male chameleon. A year and 1 month old. Been in my care for 5 months
Handling - i don't
This is good, but I use Calcium without d3 weekdays
Calcium W/D3 once a week, and multivitamin monthly

There should not be any liquid. Is the feces runny?

Cage Info:
You don't need a heat lamp at night. You can have just a regular incandescent bulb so it makes the basking spot about 85F. Chameleons need about a ten degree drop in temperature at night.
Temperature - I use the weather channel. if its hot out, i turn the AC on low. If its cold out i turn the heat lamp on
There should always be a basking spot of about 85F during the day.
Location - south florida

Current Problem - My chameleon's horns have dark tips. Should I worry, or is this normal?
Now the final question, which I don't have an answer too.. Sorry!

black horn tips?

im not sure whether that would be a cause for alarm or not. i would keep an extra close eye on them to make sure it is not spreading. a pic and the help form would probably get you better answers in return

Mine have dark tips, but they aren't dark black or anything. A photo will help, as Xanthoman has already suggested.

(edit) Also, the AC in your house sucks a lot of the humidity out of the air, so you should be misting his cage several times a day to make sure the humidity levels are comfortable for him.

They aren't dark black, but the tips are darker than the rest of his horns. I will post a better picture once I get one.

Attachments

• P3180065.jpg
    P3180065.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 156
Well, that looks comepletely normal to me. Mine's horns look exactly like that (I have photos of my guy in an album on my profile, if you want to compare), and they've been like that the 8 months he's been in my care. I don't think it's anything to worry about, but lets see what other people have to say?

Chameleon Info:
Handling - i don't
This is overkill on the D3. Calcium with out D3 or phosphorus once a week is plenty provided you gutload your insects with a healthy diet before feeding. Ellron's schedule seems to be for a veiled or panther. I would not use that on a jacksonii.
You should also spray his enclosure down. I like to do it from the top and on the screen. This way it starts to form water droplets on the screen and then creates more of a natural rain instead of a fine mist.

Cage Info:
I doubt you will ever need a heat lamp at night. jacksonii can stand very low temps at night and its necessary to provide them with cooler temps at night. Below 60 degrees and below would be ideal.
You need a digital thermometer. Temps in cage should range from 70 at the bottom to up to 80 at the top. Basking site can be around 5 degrees hotter. Extended periods of high temps is not good for him.
70% humidity day time and even higher at night would be ideal.
All real plants will help keep the humidity up and also create more natural drinking surfaces.
Location - south florida

He appears to be a very nice looking boy to me!:)

Chameleon Info:
Handling - i don't
This is overkill on the D3. Calcium with out D3 or phosphorus once a week is plenty provided you gutload your insects with a healthy diet before feeding. Ellron's schedule seems to be for a veiled or panther. I would not use that on a jacksonii.
You should also spray his enclosure down. I like to do it from the top and on the screen. This way it starts to form water droplets on the screen and then creates more of a natural rain instead of a fine mist.

Cage Info:
I doubt you will ever need a heat lamp at night. jacksonii can stand very low temps at night and its necessary to provide them with cooler temps at night. Below 60 degrees and below would be ideal.
You need a digital thermometer. Temps in cage should range from 70 at the bottom to up to 80 at the top. Basking site can be around 5 degrees hotter. Extended periods of high temps is not good for him.
70% humidity day time and even higher at night would be ideal.
All real plants will help keep the humidity up and also create more natural drinking surfaces.
Location - south florida

He appears to be a very nice looking boy to me!:)

Thank you! I am going to buy a thermometer and some regular calcium tomorrow. I love this site.

Back
Top Bottom