Jackson's Chameleon Fake Plants?

We are getting ready to buy a Jackson within the next month or so and getting all of the planning sorted out.

Just wondering if real plants are absolutely necessary or if fake plants can used?

Planning to get each of these
- Cool air humidifier
- Mist System
- 18x18x36 Screen
- 5.0 UVB 15 watt
- 40 Watt Basking

We haven't decided on plants and branches etc . I think the humidity should be fine in the cage without the live plants with the humidifier and misting but I may be wrong. If there is any kind of risk that would be inflicted onto a chameleon, any input would be much appreciated!

We are getting ready to buy a Jackson within the next month or so and getting all of the planning sorted out.

Just wondering if real plants are absolutely necessary or if fake plants can used?

- Cool air humidifier
- Mist System
- 18x18x36 Screen
- 5.0 UVB 15 watt
- 40 Watt Basking

We haven't decided on plants and branches etc . I think the humidity should be fine in the cage without the live plants with the humidifier and misting but I may be wrong. If there is any kind of risk that would be inflicted onto a chameleon, any input would be much appreciated!
Sounds like your supplies list is great! Many people use fake, and many use live. Depending on where you live, (if you live in a low humidity area like a desert, or like Florida with high humidity) you can use either. If you use live plants, you will have higher humidity and humidity pockets, and if you use fake, you will have lower humidity from the plants. Where I live, I use a mixture of both. The problem is that with fake plants, the water droplets from misting will evaporate faster than with live plants. I recommend pothos and schleffera.

- Cool air humidifier
- Mist System
- 18x18x36 Screen
- 5.0 UVB 15 watt
- 40 Watt Basking

Real plants are always best .you have plenty of time to shop for them. Artificial look cheesy. I’m not saying don’t uses them at all ... just uses a little. :rolleyes:

I like using live plants as much as possible as they release and absorb moisture....the cage "breathes" a bit better and the soil, leaves, and surfaces of the live plants tend to keep the cage more humid. You will need to track the humidity levels either way. Nothing wrong with putting a fake spray or branch in a spot where a live plant might not get enough light just to provide cage structure. If you have a cham species that doesn't tend to chew on the plants, a fake can work.

I like using live plants as much as possible as they release and absorb moisture....the cage "breathes" a bit better and the soil, leaves, and surfaces of the live plants tend to keep the cage more humid. You will need to track the humidity levels either way. Nothing wrong with putting a fake spray or branch in a spot where a live plant might not get enough light just to provide cage structure. If you have a cham species that doesn't tend to chew on the plants, a fake can work.
I swear I have a vegetarian . He likes to eat the Pothos plant leaves. so now every morning I’ll take vegetables and clip them over the area he goes too. I haven’t seen him go to any other area to eat the Pothos leaves and there is a lot a vines throughout his cage. Maybe I broke him of that habit....I hope , time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom