Jackson subtypes differences?

jodeoh60

Hello from Philadelphia. We've kept Jacksons for 20 years, but I am unfamiliar with the subtypes listed-- meru, xanth, jacksonii. Are the less common varieties anything worth pursuing? I suppose ours have always been jacksonii, the most common. What are the physical differences between the types? Ours have always looked like clones with the exception of an occasional reddish female. Thanks

I bred sum xanth, there the largest of the jacksons, not really worth much, more sentimental.

Attachments

• IMG_0275-1.JPG
    IMG_0275-1.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 162
I just like the size of the xanth, there eating machines as well, I really want some merus really into their colors. Big xanth female finishing up a shed this is mama. Gravid.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 147
Male xanth, horn was broke on tip before I owned him, it has started to regenerate, this was new to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 189
I have a male jacksonii jacksonii. He's super neat. I'm really enjoying him. I'll try to get some pictures of him this Sunday when I clean his cage.

Thanks for the posts and photos. Jacksons are my first love. The word "xanth" in Greek means yellow.So are they a different color? I've seen photos of the meru also and the males seem more colorful, but the differences seem subtle at best.

Hey, that article describes the animals we've has as xanth, as most of our purchases came from wild populations in Hawaii and Florida. We've never bought nor had born a female with a horn.

I've got videos of my oldest girl (human) as a toddler with a dozen Jackson babies climbing all over her arms and head while she laughs. All the teen girls who pass through this house love them, which is weird and surprising, but I've always said No to them adopting a baby because of the detailed husbandry.

A few years back we had a litter born and gave a dozen babies away for free here on chameleon forum. Most were mailed out but one guy from NJ and one from NYC drove to the house. My wife Deb fussed a little about strangers coming over. I said "Hey, I met them on the chameleon website--- how bad can they be?!" And she replied " THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU JUST SAID. I THINK I WIN THIS ARGUMENT" But everyone turned out to be perfectly normal. For heaven's sake, it's not the gun club website....

Thanks for the posts and photos. Jacksons are my first love. The word "xanth" in Greek means yellow.So are they a different color? I've seen photos of the meru also and the males seem more colorful, but the differences seem subtle at best.

If you look at my profile and find "all threads started by" you will see lots of pictures of my Jackson's. I keep all three sub species but only have males of j jacksonii and j xantholophus. I mostly have j merumontous and have been breeding them for a few years now. All three subspecies are cool in their own way and I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. All are hardy and care is the same with each subspecies.

I find that it seems the majority of Chameleon keepers are Females. Also chameleon keepers are like people everywhere, some are "normal" and some are......:p

Back
Top Bottom