Jackson Chameleon Temp/overheating

NYCjames

Hello,

I have had my chameleon for about 6 months. He is a Jackson chameleon and he is about 10 months old. My question is regarding his temp.

The temp in his cage ( 18 x 18 x 36) is 68.9 cooler area to 75.8 warmer area, under his heat lamp is 80-85 depending on the time of day and my apartment. He also has different levels to bask in the light. It usually is 80 from 9am to 12pm them the temp picks up to 85 for the rest of the day.

My question is when I turn the heat lamp on he instantly opens his mouth when I turn the heat lamp on even before it hits the 80 mark.

Today it was 68.7 under the heat lamp and he has his mouth open like he is too hot.

Should I just keep it off?

Last edited:
they need a basking light, but your is a bit too hot try to keep it at 80, how is the night temp ?

make sure the basking light is not resting on the topp screen, if he can get high enough in his cage he may end up burning himself

night time temp is 60 to 65.

ok so I should always keep it on even if he is hot?

like right now it is 75 under it and he keeps opening his mouth.

night time temp is 60 to 65.

ok so I should always keep it on even if he is hot?

like right now it is 75 under it and he keeps opening his mouth.

but what is the overallt tewmperature? if it 75 he can get burn, they do that when they are trying to cool down but if the temp is 75 it should be a problem, do you hear any sound coming from him while he does that?

I don't think it's your temperatures. That's right about how I keep my Jax. He likes a basking spot of about 85 and doesn't gape until he gets in the upper 80s. Some might like it a bit cooler, but you are not cooking him.

Either:

1. He is feeling threatened by you and this is his "I'm a big scary monster" face. Does he puff up his whole body, bob his head, or huff? That could be a threat display.

2. He is having issues breathing. Open mouth is a common sign of an upper respiratory infection. Does he have any stringy saliva? Generally his mouth should be moist but not dripping with spit. Does he make any "popping" noises or wheezing noises? That would be a sign he needs a vet visit.

3. He could be a gaper. Sometimes, but not very often, my Jax will hang out with his mouth open for no reason. Freaks me out. I've heard other Jax owners say the same. However, if he is doing it constantly, I would worry.

4. Your thermometer is wrong and your temperatures are higher than you think.

Ok so I change thermometer Temps are still the same slight difference only of .2 degrees between them.

Went to vet 215$ to find out he is in good health.
I don't think it's me because he runs to get out when I open the change and within a minute if I put my hand in the cage he climbs on it himself.

The vet didn't seem sure and said maybe it's his personality.

Are there aby other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom