Jackson Chameleon Red Eye Lids

Magia348

Hi guys, so my true jacksons chameleon (a couple of months old) has recently been showing a white-er coloration where his yellow is and the back of his eye lids are like a brown-red. Not sure what exactly it is, can it be that he is just growing up? I've had him for several months now. Here is a picture and details
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - True Jacksonii Jacksonii chameleon. Male, around 6 months old. Under my care for about 3 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? once every other dayaround 10-20 minutes for unfiltered sunlight/free roaming
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? medium crickets What amount? 5 (he usually eats 4-5) What is the schedule? (in the morning after he poops/urinates) How are you gut-loading your feeders? pebble food feed and green water gels.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? reptifeed calciferol calcium without D3 every other day and multivitamin from herbareptile with calcium with d3 once a month, dusting on crickets.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? dripper fountain bought for $30 dollars at reptile shop. How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mist once or twice a day, and chameleon drinking, usually mostly in the morning and randomly throughout the day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White urea with nice black collected and hard poop. Never tested for parasites, not wild caught. captive breed.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Mt.Kenya jackson, captive bred and fairly rare. Loves humidity from humidifier and hangs around basking spot.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen cage open all sides, about 2 feed and a half high, 17x17ish floor. Pretty big for this small chameleon.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? dual bulb one UV and 50 watt heat bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor coller higher significantly hotter, humidity 60-80% on unlight side and 75-85 on heated side.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 60-80% created via home made humidifier, important as these boys are from Mt. Kenya where humidity is high. Often likes alternating between this cool darker zone and the higher hotter side under basking light on other side of cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, some golden pothos growing on side of cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? High on a high desk next to a window that is curtain open during the day, limited traffic, nice ventilation not too close to air conditioning vent. perfectly between floor and ceiling.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? South florida.

Attachments

• philip eyes and white line.jpg
    philip eyes and white line.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 212
He looks good from what I can tell. Maybe a senior member can chime in. Sounds to me like he is just growing up. A close-up picture would be helpful to see what you mean though.

It's hard to tell how big he is from the picture but going by his coloring and horn development, he appears to be considerably older than six months of age. You say you've had him about three months? How big was he then and what was his coloring like? Did you get him from Snakes at Sunset or from a private individual that has had him since birth? A closer pic would be great as well as a pic of him on your hand or some other known object so we can get a true sense of his size. The reason I am asking all these questions is that I have an adult pair of jacksonii jacksonii and 13 three month old babies. My babies are still mostly brown &/or pale green and their horns are maybe 1/4" at the longest. My adult male (not the father of the babies) has white patches right before he sheds. When he arrived in January, he was mid-shed then and took more than a month and a half to complete the entire shed. This week, his back shed in just 2-3 days. As for the reddish spots on his eye lids, my 18 month old xantholophus jackson had such a patch on one of his eye lids this weekend and it cleared up on its own within 2-3 days. How long has your boy had his eye spots?

Hi I really appreciate all your replies, and I was very lucky to bid on this rare beast at snakes on sunset. Here is a better picture. Seems like 6 months or older to me as well. I was figuring it was that he was either growing older, I was leaving the humidifer on at night, he was basking too long, or he was somehow vitamin deficient despite supplementing him well. Here is a closer picture I got in te morning today any feedback welcome

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 201
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 187
Back
Top Bottom