If you could answer a few questions on this form we might be able to find the problem.
- Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
- Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
- Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
- Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
- Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
- History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
- Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
- Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
- Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
- Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
- Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
- Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
- Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
- The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
- Photos can be very helpful.
Vitamin D3 overdosed causes blindness, a possible reason
I have a male Jackson Chameleon however the age is unknown. We got him from a reptile convention. We have had him for about a year now. We handle him maybe once a day, if that. We feed him calcium dusted crickets daily. About 6-8. We use a mister that mists for 3 min and 30 seconds every three hours and we also have a branch that we put him on and then we put him in the shower once a week. His fecal excrement is dark. He has been normal up until about a week ago when this started. He has been resting all day. His eyes are closed and he moves only a little. We have a screen cage that I think is somewhere around five feet tall and two feet wide. We use a spot lamp for heat and a uvb bulb as well. We do not use a live plant, but branches and leaves. The cage is below a vent however we don't use said vent. I am located geographically in SC.
Are you using a calcium with or without d3? Are u using any multivitamins?
Jackson’s should get calcium without d3 twice a week. Calcium with d3 once a month and a multivitamin once a month.
We do use calcium with d3 and no multivitamin so thank you, we will invest in that.