Jackson’s night temps!

Kracker

I never gave much thought to having trouble getting my Jackson’s cage cold enough. But that’s where I’m at! It seems the more I study this mountainous subspecies. The lower the night temps get pushed. I hear it’s important to get in the low 60’s for proper sleep. Then I hear low 50’s is better. I have trouble getting below 70. How low and how important is it truly?

Uri

I never gave much thought to having trouble getting my Jackson’s cage cold enough. But that’s where I’m at! It seems the more I study this mountainous subspecies. The lower the night temps get pushed. I hear it’s important to get in the low 60’s for proper sleep. Then I hear low 50’s is better. I have trouble getting below 70. How low and how important is it truly?
From what I know as long as you are below 65 you are good. That’s what I was also told by the breeder when I had my husbandry checked. You could also listen to the chameleon academy podcast I’m pretty sure Bill strand goes deep into the temperature requirements of Jackson’s that’s where I first heard about the requirements. He doesn’t spread false information as far as I can tell probably wanna consult with more experienced keepers here tho

Kracker

Anyone have a good suggestion on how to get temps down to even 65f. When ambient temp is a constant 71f? I mean I could go broke running the central air like crazy but I think my family would b a little uncomfortable LOL. And this is a mt. Kenya Jackson! Not a Hawaiian.

JacksJill

Staff member
I have some outdoors that get 50's at night and many indoors that get low to mid 60's most nights with some nights during heat waves only to 68 F. Your easiest but not cheapest solution is to get a small AC for the chams room. I use gel ice packs sometimes set on top of the cage above the sleep spot at night to get a small cooler area for them. If you are in a cooler climate open the window to that room at night. Many people have cooled down a small section of their basement.

Kracker

Yes I been considering a room ac unit. But I have central air and it’s just hard to swallow adding another ac. And my basement is same temp as whole house and never drops below 70. It’s just really frustrating to struggle with an extra 5-10 degree drop in temp. But I’ll get it figured out and thanks to everyone for ur input, it’s greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom