J. Jacksonii babies born today!

Congrats guys!!!!! I hope they do well for you. I have not much to back this up on but I would say you have a good idea putting them into small screen cages. People use the tubs to keep the humidity higher, right? If your room is already perfect for the jacksonii then I would think that is the best way to go. Anyway congrats again!!!!!

Yes, they are in the "montane" room, which is cooler and the humidity kept high, plus with mistings throughout the day (by hand- I'm afraid the automister droplets will be too large for them at first) they should do OK. I want to do the screen cages to avoid bacterial infections caused by still air. I do have fans in the room, but if I make a point of directing air flow (even a little bit) into the plastic tubs to keep good air movement, then their paper towels and leaves will dry out too quickly. Also, the UVB bulb may cause too much heat build up in the tubs. I am thinking it will just be safer and easier to have them in screen cages with "natural" ambient air flow from the existing oscillating fan high in the corner of the room, and no risk of build up of warm temps from UVB light. The room temp is monitored and set to turn off all cage lights if the ambient temp gets above mid 70s.

Ah, fantastic news! I came back from out of town today expecting to find my own set of nominate jacksonii offspring, but fortunately that did not happen. I'm glad to see yours arrived well-- and 20 of them!

How is the mother doing? I suppose these are the first from your recently acquired group, correct? If so, this one arrived already gravid, no? Have you noticed any other copulation attempts among the rest of your group? And finally, how well did they do? As you know, jacksonii jacksonii are notorious for being very difficult to acclimate. Did you lose any?

I'm excited to hear about your desire to document their progress via a blog-- I pledge to be an immediate subscriber! Additionally, if all goes well with my very-late-term female and the progeny, I hope we can talk about bloodline diversification. This subspecies is next to impossible to obtain as captive born and/or bred in the U.S., so every animal counts. I know Kent's female copulated and any potential offspring offer another crucial opportunity to diversify our genetics.

Finally,congratulations on your success. You're obviously doing something right if you've managed to acclimate (at least one) nominate jacksonii, so the only thing I would do for the neonates is watch your temperature extremes (on both ends), isolate them in smaller groups (as already mentioned), and provide enough basking areas for the neonates utilize. Any basking area domination will be clear from the start, and will manifest itself in the weaker ones with a decreased appetite, stress coloration, etc. I would also say that my success rate with neonate jacksonii has increased after departing from the use of tubs and instead switching to a screen-cage-only approach-- in groups of no more than 6 animals. Of course, this is my own experience and I am not discouraging experimentation. On the contrary. If you manage to have success with solid-wall enclosures, even better.

All the best,

Fabián

P.S. Benny... did I read that right? I think you owe me some (urgent) photos! You inglorious one! I'll be looking out for a new thread... :cool:

Greetings, Fabián. The mother is doing well. She came in gravid. We purchased 2.4 WC J.J., and lost 1 of the males. Each of the 5 is kept in its own cage, as the females all looked somewhat gravid when we received them in May. There were a few we weren't sure were gravid, but when we presented them to the male they made it very clear. And since then all the females have fattened up nicely. There are 2 more that look close to giving birth.

The neonates went into their screen cages yesterday and, as far as I can tell, are still doing well. I haven't started that blog yet.

Yes, although we will have more than 1 bloodline (if the other girls' clutches do well), we will still be interested in exchanging bloodlines.

Greetings, Fabián. The mother is doing well. She came in gravid. We purchased 2.4 WC J.J., and lost 1 of the males. Each of the 5 is kept in its own cage, as the females all looked somewhat gravid when we received them in May. There were a few we weren't sure were gravid, but when we presented them to the male they made it very clear. And since then all the females have fattened up nicely. There are 2 more that look close to giving birth.

Stellar work! Good luck with the rest of the group. I'll be on the lookout for more photos... :)

Cheers,

Fabián

Oh my God, a J. Jacksonii party!!

If only I lived in the states I could start begging now, and by the time they're old enough ... wait a minute. My daughter just moved to upstate New York ... hmmmmmmm, if she wears a leafy jacket when she visits for Canadian Thanksgiving, I'll bet the border guards wouldn't notice a couple of hitch-hikers.
I am soooo envious!

Back
Top Bottom