Itraconazole Side Effects

mapdoggis

My vet prescribed 0.3ml daily for my female Jax. The medication says to take with food so I've been trying to give her a newly molted roach or cricket before I give her the med and then some water drops after to cleanse her palette. Every time, she vomits everything up within a half-hour. She's been sleeping pretty much non-stop. She falls asleep while I'm administering the med. Are these common side effects?

The Parsons chameleon that was treated with itraconazole did throw up...but only when it was given a mouse pup. This chameleon came to me very early on in my chameleon keeping and the learning curve was still steep so we (my vet and I) were giving it the odd mouse pup to try to make sure it was getting enough food. The pups were thrown up whole so we stopped using them and went back to crickets because it did not throw them up.

It also developed anemia and an enlarged liver which we decided to ignore since taking more blood might further the anemia qnd still not solve the liver issue. At the time of death (a long time later) the liver was normal and there was no anemia either.

In humans there is a long list of side effects with itraconazole...so it won't surprise me if it's true for chameleons too.

Back
Top Bottom