Itchy eye

Nina108

So my chameleon has his left eye closed for about 2 weeks now. Not swollen or cloudy just closed. He opens it sometimes and I can see it looks perfect. But since yesterday it seems extremely itchy. When I held him to put him outside he started itching it in my hand so he must be extremely uncomfortable.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
    male veiled chameleon. I’ve had him since may 21.

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Only when needed.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets in the morning as much as he wants. I leave the feeder all day and take of at night. I gut load with hibiscus flower, mango and carrots.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use the zoo med calcium without d3 at every feeding and reptivite with d3 the 1st and 15th of each month.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I see my chameleon drinking at least once a day. I mist morning and night and he has a dripper all day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested. His poop is dark and consistent with a white part.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Captive bred

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen large reptbreeze.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lights on 12 hrs a day. 95w incandescent light and arcadia 12% t5ho uvb. He is outside right now so no lights except for cloudy days.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Measure with temp gun. Lower 76 higher 90.Overnight 74-75.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity day is 40-50 night 80,90. I mist morining and night but I live in florida so it is naturally humid.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus, mass cane and photos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Outdoor in florida
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • Florida.

E62AA18D-93D5-4D1F-87CD-244C26579A25.png

Attachments

• 13521674-61A2-4609-8538-70F3A7F1C9CD.png
    13521674-61A2-4609-8538-70F3A7F1C9CD.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 79
Is there ever any swelling? Irritants can be physical (particle, scratch/damage, or growth), biological (germ, parasite), chemical (allergy, other). Am I forgetting anything? The structure of a chameleon eye makes it difficult to see what's going on under all that lid. Misting & fogging should be enough to help him/her (are there heel spurs?) wash away some irritants.

I'm not sure what a reasonable time is before having it looked at by a herp vet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom