Issues with misting system

OliviaDayle

So I bought an Exo Terra Monsoon (two gallon) for my panther chameleon last May and recently I've had issues with it leaking where the tube connects to the lid (where all the electronics are) and this really wouldn't bother me, I could just put down a towel, but it's leaking inside the lid and messing up the electronics, the little LED lights no longer work along with the buttons to change the settings, and I really don't want it to break completely and have to replace it. I've been misting him by hand to avoid something getting in the water that's not good for him. Has anyone else run into this issue with them? And does anyone have any idea how to fix it? I know they are not the most well made systems out there, but they seemed to be the easiest to use, so I wanted to start with one of them. I've only ever used filtered water in it and i try and clean it at least once a month to avoid anything getting gross. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I’m not familiar with the monsoon, but a pic or two of the unit, where it’s leaking, etc, would be helpful

I tried to show it as best as I can. It leakes inside the lid so the picture won't be able to show much and I don't know how to take apart the lid. But here is the condensation in the LED holes, here's where the tube connects and here it is leaking out the back. Hope this helps.
20190817_120706.jpg
20190817_121014.jpg
20190817_121018.jpg
20190817_120917.jpg

Attachments

• 20190817_121014.jpg
    20190817_121014.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 176
Is it leaking inside the lid, or at the connections? I think you probably need to get the lid open; there must be a few screws for access.

20190817_123841.jpg
20190817_124216.jpg
20190817_124118.jpg
20190817_124114.jpg

Okay, I got it open. I still am not quite sure where its leaking, but I got a photo of all the places the tubes connect.

Attachments

• 20190817_124200.jpg
    20190817_124200.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 220
Now the thing to do is make sure it is plugged in to a gfci outlet, and run it to see where the leak is.

If it’s a slip-in type of fitting, you have to push down on the fitting collar, while pulling on the hose.

^ ^ Same here - I have one and have read plenty about their tendency to short out due to the electronics getting wet. (I never fill it thru the hole in the lid but rather remove it to add water, and only fill to 1" from the bottom of the lid to keep the electronics dry.)

To prevent a short and total failure of the unit, I would lay everything out to dry out for several days. You could even work on it with a hair dryer. Once you don't see any condensation anywhere on the touchpad I would reassemble with new tubing and test it. Maybe you can get a few more months use out of it. Be sure to use distilled water. Good luck!

My dad cut the tube where it leaked and just out a little connector thing between them. It took him like a minute and it's not leaking at all now! I'm going to leave it to dry for a while before I plug it in again, but it fixed! Thank you to everyone who took time out of their replied and helped me figure this all out! This was my first time on here and it was a wonderful experience, everyone is super helpful and kind.
20190817_144623.jpg

My dad cut the tube where it leaked and just out a little connector thing between them. It took him like a minute and it's not leaking at all now! I'm going to leave it to dry for a while before I plug it in again, but it fixed! Thank you to everyone who took time out of their replied and helped me figure this all out! This was my first time on here and it was a wonderful experience, everyone is super helpful and kind.View attachment 243387
What size connector/tubing did you use? I’m having the same issue but all my RS40 tubing is shot.

Back
Top Bottom