Isopods eating my centerpiece

ivythechammy

I’ve noticed some chew marks on the tree trunk of my centerpiece ficus tree. One side of the tree trunk is now stripped of tree bark. I’ve had another centerpiece with the same chew mark which died subsequently.

The isopods I have are very aggressive eaters. They devour anything that I attempt to plant, and I always see a swarm of them lurking above ground late at night. Am I the only one having this issue?

There are a few reasons why I think this is occurring.
1. The soil humidity level is pretty high around the trunk/roots as I try to keep my ficus tree well watered, which attracts isopods

2. The isopods are overpopulating

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to prevent the isopods from killing my tree again? I’ve thought of spinkling neem cake around the trunk, but that stuff costs more than you’d think. Maybe diatomaceous earth, but I’m worried that it’ll kill too many of them or have a permanent impact on the ecosystem? Perhaps I can toss in some kitchen compost stuff daily so they have something else to eat.

I’ve noticed some chew marks on the tree trunk of my centerpiece ficus tree. One side of the tree trunk is now stripped of tree bark. I’ve had another centerpiece with the same chew mark which died subsequently.

The isopods I have are very aggressive eaters. They devour anything that I attempt to plant, and I always see a swarm of them lurking above ground late at night. Am I the only one having this issue?

There are a few reasons why I think this is occurring.
1. The soil humidity level is pretty high around the trunk/roots as I try to keep my ficus tree well watered, which attracts isopods

2. The isopods are overpopulating

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to prevent the isopods from killing my tree again? I’ve thought of spinkling neem cake around the trunk, but that stuff costs more than you’d think. Maybe diatomaceous earth, but I’m worried that it’ll kill too many of them or have a permanent impact on the ecosystem? Perhaps I can toss in some kitchen compost stuff daily so they have something else to eat.
Do you have any cork bark or leaf litter for them? I’d say give them some kitchen scraps.

Yep - feed the beast. And does your cham pick them off at all? If not, you may want to take a few out and sell them on eBay lol

Back
Top Bottom