Is Tommy Strange?

Miss Lily

Chameleon Enthusiast
The weather has been lovely here in the UK for the last couple of days, so I thought I'd take Tommy outside to sit in the sun for a while. As soon as he's outside he sucks everything in and goes really skinny! When a little breeze blows he starts a leaf walk. He shows no other reaction (such as flattening to bask) while outside. Although he remained his normal happy colours, I don't think he really enjoyed the experience, bless him! :confused: As far as I know, none of his previous owners ever took him out for some proper UVs, poor boy. I will leave it a couple of months (unless we get a really hot spell) before I try again! I know it's good for him to get some natural sunlight and I just hope he can learn to enjoy it like Amy does! Anyone else got a chameleon who doesn't recognise sunlight?

My chams will act a little weird for a day or two if they have not been outside for a while. I am guessing because the world seems so much bigger than just staring at a wall or room. He was probably just nervous of his new surroundings.

My veiled Daigan was the same way.. He was 'King' of his cage while inside.. never shy..

But as soon as I would take him outside... or even place him and his whole cage outside, his whole personality seemed to change.

He became a skittish little chameleon trying to hide from every branch swaying in the wind.

I just think it was sensory overload.. he go so use to how things where inside that when I took him outside he felt vulnerable

Last edited:
After the long winter here it always takes most of my chams a couple of trip outside before they settle down.:)

mine went out yesterday to tiff it was a lovely day. the female liked it but the male was a bit dazed by the experience

first time i took my young panther out he turned black on me and hid as best he could to avoid any beneficial UVB. I'll try again when it's warmer.

When you take a chameleon outside its likely that you are putting him in a position of being "on guard" for predators, etc. which would account for the different behavior. You are taking it outside of its territory.

Back
Top Bottom