Is this too much supplement, worried it might be?

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have an 4 1/2 month old baby panther.

I'm currently dusting with repashy calcium plus LoD every day using the cricket shaker.

https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calc...cium+plus+LoD&qid=1564519764&s=gateway&sr=8-1
https://www.amazon.com/Rep-Cal-SRP0...ricket+shaker&qid=1564453070&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I shake the shaker side to side several times to get any access supplement off of the crickets. But no matter what I do they still come out ghost white. Is this too much supplement for my baby panther?

I'm currently feeding 12-15 1/2" crickets along with 5 1/4" dubia daily. The crickets and dubia are dusted. He is currently not eating the dubia's. I also feed him 5 bsfl and 3 silks on alternating days that are not dusted. I usually have 2-3 crickets still at the end of the day that he has not eaten along with the Dubia's.

Thanks,

Tony

"dusting with repashy calcium plus LoD every day"

No. You use this once a week tops, adults are once every other week. And depending on your lightning, you might not be using it at all.

You need to by some repashy calcium without D3 for your other daily dusting.

Others can chime in on "dust" that is gritter that wont mak ghost crickets. Very humid crickets will dust thicker, as will using ultra fine powder. Bit i dont feel you are over dusting, maybe in 4 months when hes eating 2 dozen at a time you might only dust half due to surface area :)

Last edited:
"dusting with repashy calcium plus LoD every day"

No. You use this once a week tops, adults are once every other week. And depending on your lightning, you might not be using it at all.

You need to by some repashy calcium with D3 for your other daily dusting.

Others can chime in on "dust" that is gritter that wont mak ghost crickets. Very humid crickets will dust thicker, as will using ultra fine powder. Bit i dont feel you are over dusting, maybe in 4 months when hes eating 2 dozen at a time you might only dust half due to surface area :)

Why LoD once a week? Many keepers here have said LoD at every feeding -- and not to worry about other supplements.

Why LoD once a week? Many keepers here have said LoD at every feeding -- and not to worry about other supplements.
This is what I was going by. Use it at every feeding and don't use anything else.

It is very confusing, which is why I linked the exact product I'm using.

I would personally dust half the crickets since they are picking up so much... For some reason crickets tend to pick up more of the supplement. The only thing I have ever dusted is the main staple feeder. So I do not dust BSFL, horns, silks, Only dubia or back when he was a babe crickets.

There is a main panther breeder and they actually use the repashy calcium plus which is a higher D3 then what we recommend with the LOD. Because they use it in combination with T8 lighting they need a higher D3. So to sum this up no your not overdosing him I looked into this supplement a ton before I switched to it. It has low levels of everything which is why you can use it at every feed. But with little man eating much more in a day just dust half the crickets.

Thanks, I was worried since so much is sticking to the crickets and he is eating 12-15 of them a day. That is was too much for him since for example you are doing 2-3 large dubia's every other day and Beman is a full grown adult compared to my little guy.

D3 dosages of popular powders:

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 8,000 IU/lb

I dont have the time right now to convert kg to lbs, but just pretend that the 8,000 IU/lb is 20,000 ui/kg

"mineral indoor" is the only one i know of that is suggested daily for at least babies, and that is based on T8 lighting with UVI less than 1.0. By contrast LoD has 10x the dosage

I'll switch to only dusting 6 crickets a day. How can I tell/what to look out for, if the little guy is getting too much or not enough.

I definitely don't want him getting MBD.

I'll switch to only dusting 6 crickets a day. How can I tell/what to look out for, if the little guy is getting too much or not enough.

I definitely don't want him getting MBD.
Switch to 6. with overdose you will see a lack of appetite and he will become sluggish. He will be good on 6 and it will be balanced with all the variety your giving him.

Back
Top Bottom