Is this the right bulb?

Tachora

Hi everyone!

I have a two-month-old veiled chameleon. A few things were going on with him so I took him to the vet yesterday and today I'll start him on ABX. However, I am very concerned about the quality of his light. I have the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent (13 watts) in his enclosure, the enclosure is 16" x 24". He's been trying to climb on top of the screen, so today I found this bottle of sunblock that turns blue with UV light, I tested it even on a window on a cloudy day, and sure enough, it turned blue, then I tested it directly under the light bulb and it barely turned blue after 30 seconds of exposure.

Is the UV light coming from one of these bulbs a lot milder than the light I'd receive from a window?

The bulb is brand new, I replaced it after I realized the 5.0 they had given me at the store was useless.

If someone has a specific recommendation for a brand of bulb that is reliable and strong enough for a veiled, I'd greatly appreciate it.

He seems to be uncomfortable in his enclosure, so I added more plants and more hiding spots, he has everything else he needs, right temp, mist him 4-5X a day besides a dripper system. I'm gut loading his critters and supplementing with Calcium every day, and with D3 once a month.

Hi! You want a linear bulb! Compacts aren't recommended for chams. You want a T5 HO. 5.0. I will link you to something that comes with a hood and a bulb! Not having the proper light can result in Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) and you never want that to happen to your cham because it can be fatal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8G3M/ref=dp_cerb_2

After 6 months, make sure to change the bulb because it will stop giving off proper UVB. I recommend switching the current bulb to arcadia after it goes out. That is what I am doing. Arcadia 6% is the bulb you want. Hopefully I didn't confuse you!

Arcadia Bulb you want: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/35822-arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb--34

A cfl is only good for 3-4" away from the bulb, they are borderline useless.

The standard for any cham of any age, is a T5HO 5.0/6% that goes the length of the cage(or it can stick out the sides for a while if you are running a baby cage for 6 months). That will give you usable uvb to 24" and a nice zone that is 10-18" away from the bulb.

Hi! You want a linear bulb! Compacts aren't recommended for chams. You want a T5 HO. 5.0. I will link you to something that comes with a hood and a bulb! Not having the proper light can result in Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) and you never want that to happen to your cham because it can be fatal.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU8G3M/ref=dp_cerb_2

After 6 months, make sure to change the bulb because it will stop giving off proper UVB. I recommend switching the current bulb to arcadia after it goes out. That is what I am doing. Arcadia 6% is the bulb you want. Hopefully I didn't confuse you!

Arcadia Bulb you want: https://www.lllreptile.com/products/35822-arcadia-d3-6-uvb-t5-bulb--34

THANK YOU for the link!!!! is it ok to have a 5.0 even if it is outside the screen? the vet was the one who told me to get the 10.0 since a lot of it filters through the screen.

A cfl is only good for 3-4" away from the bulb, they are borderline useless.

The standard for any cham of any age, is a T5HO 5.0/6% that goes the length of the cage(or it can stick out the sides for a while if you are running a baby cage for 6 months). That will give you usable uvb to 24" and a nice zone that is 10-18" away from the bulb.
Good idea! I was already concerned with the extra expense of different size hoods :)

Good idea! I was already concerned with the extra expense of different size hoods :)

Generally the big boy cage will be a 24x24x48 reptibreeze xl with a 22" tube. You can put them in that once they are feeder/cup training and know where the drinking spots are, it really doesnt mater the age/size of the cham. Odds are they were raise with their 20 brothers and sisters in a 2ft long tub anyway.

THANK YOU for the link!!!! is it ok to have a 5.0 even if it is outside the screen? the vet was the one who told me to get the 10.0 since a lot of it filters through the screen.

I know that a 5.0/6% is better for chams and recommended. I'm not an expert on the lights so can't give you a accurate answer. I just know the basics and still learning about them!
Gonna tag @jannb @kinyonga @GoodKarma19 @Kristen Wilkins . Maybe they can help with your question better than me! ;)

The ideal bulb strength depends on what kind of hood you get and the number of reflectors. For a single or dual hood, 5.0/6% UVB is preferred at a distance of 6-9" to the chameleon's back at basking. 10.0/12% is generally used with hoods sharing a reflector, as seen in many quad hoods.

@Beman is much better at explaining UVB bulbs and reflectors than I am, though!

WIth a T5HO you want a 5.0 or 6% bulb in a single bulb fixture and basking should be 9 inches down for a 3UVI level. I would not do a bulb stronger then this in a T5. The compact bulbs are useless.

I know that a 5.0/6% is better for chams and recommended. I'm not an expert on the lights so I can't give you an accurate answer. I just know the basics and still learning about them!
Gonna tag @jannb @kinyonga @GoodKarma19 @Kristen Wilkins . Maybe they can help with your question better than me! ;)
Thank you! I'm so confused about the strength, so much mixed information everywhere. I fear of exposing him to too much UVB but also don't want to give him less than ideal. His cage is by a window which sometimes I open and he can get direct sunlight from it. If @jannb @kinyonga @GoodKarma19 @Kristen Wilkins could help me out here I'd be so appreciative. He currently has this setup, although I changed the 5.0 bulb he had for a 10.0, now I'm thinking I should get the linear one, but I want to make sure I don't buy something less than ideal.

Thank you! I'm so confused about the strength, so much mixed information everywhere. I fear of exposing him to too much UVB but also don't want to give him less than ideal. His cage is by a window which sometimes I open and he can get direct sunlight from it. If @jannb @kinyonga @GoodKarma19 @Kristen Wilkins could help me out here I'd be so appreciative. He currently has this setup, although I changed the 5.0 bulb he had for a 10.0, now I'm thinking I should get the linear one, but I want to make sure I don't buy something less than ideal.

You want a linear. Everything else is a big no no. 5.0 or 6% is what you are looking for! ((:)

You want a linear. Everything else is a big no no. 5.0 or 6% is what you are looking for! :)))
So any UVB Bulb that says "5.0" equals to 6%? or are those two different measurements? I just purchased the Arcadia that @hiddenflaws recommended, but it's more expensive than the Reptisun alternatives, I'm just lost in the numbers and comparisons. Thank you!

So any UVB Bulb that says "5.0" equals to 6%? or are those two different measurements? I just purchased the Arcadia that @hiddenflaws recommended, but it's more expensive than the Reptisun alternatives, I'm just lost in the numbers and comparisons. Thank you!
They are almost exactly the same on UVB output. The arcadia bulbs can be more expensive depending on where you get them from. It will not need to be replaced for a full 12 months unlike the reptisun that should be replaced every 6-9 months. As long as your using the T5HO bulb with one of these your good.

With a T5HO you want a 5.0 or 6% bulb in a single bulb fixture and basking should be 9 inches down for a 3UVI level. I would not do a bulb stronger then this in a T5 as the UVI output is very strong. The compact bulbs are useless.

So any UVB Bulb that says "5.0" equals to 6%? or are those two different measurements?
Think of it as English vs. metric (it's not, but it's an analogy). IDK if the 5.0 is supposed to be 5%, but the two are close enough. Choices for reptile keepers are generally 5.0/6% or 10.0/12% (except that Arcadia also makes a 14%, but let's not get crazy—those are for serious diurnal desert dwellers).

Please correct me if I'm wrong (please provide citation—not just, "I heard..." or "I read someplace..." ;) ). My understanding is that all T5 bulbs, regardless of mfr. are good for a year. My Reptisun has been running close to that long with no discernible degradation (Solarmeter 6.5) so far.

Think of it as English vs. metric (it's not, but it's an analogy). IDK if the 5.0 is supposed to be 5%, but the two are close enough. Choices for reptile keepers are generally 5.0/6% or 10.0/12% (except that Arcadia also makes a 14%, but let's not get crazy—those are for serious diurnal desert dwellers).

Please correct me if I'm wrong (please provide citation—not just, "I heard..." or "I read someplace..." ;) ). My understanding is that all T5 bulbs, regardless of mfr. are good for a year. My Reptisun has been running close to that long with no discernible degradation (Solarmeter 6.5) so far.
As long as you have a solarmeter to double check the bulb readings then that is fine. But for others without one... The basic replacement of a reptisun bulb is every 6-9 months and an arcadia every 12 months.

And yes you are right... That is the equivalent measurement. 5.0 would be a 5%. 10.0 would be a 6%. So for our use. the 5.0 is equivalent to a 6% arcadia bulb.

I just reordered my Arcadia 6% from Todd because I mark it on the bulb and mine runs out July 8th. Also ordered the Jungle Dawn LED lighting strip for my plants, Becca knows her bulbs and what she is talking about

No, This is the rule of thumb with T5 reptisun bulbs within the community as well. Go into any chameleon forum and this is what people will tell you.
I have, at least this one.

I don't want to get into a kerfuffle over this; I'm a technical person who puts more credence in science, testing, & credible sources & citations than anecdotal evidence. Always have been; it's the way I was raised & educated.

I thought Frances Baines' site would have something on this, but they've been "updating" that page since at least 2014 (according to the Wayback Machine). I have a suspicion that for legal reasons (IANAL), she may want to remain silent on the issue.

Regarding what's in the forums (reptile forums in general), I've seen claims that both bulbs (Arcadia & Reptisun) were—or are—made in the same factory in Germany, but again, that is anecdotal with no citation I can find, so I tend to discount it.

I'm finding quite a few folks on this forum advising to replace T5 bulbs after 6 months with no mention of mfr.

However, I'm also finding...
If its a T8, replace every 6 months, if its a T5 HO you can replace every year.

With my T5 HO i only have to replace every 24-36 months based on my readings.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lifespan-of-uvb-bulbs.170899/
To be fair and honest, from what I've looked at (link below), there is no consistent consensus that I can see.

With regard to Reptisun T5 lifespan specifically...
about 1-1/2 years

Life Expectancy
of the ReptiSun 5.0 T5 Lamp
Zoo Med (and most reptile keepers) recommend replacing UV bulbs once a year. The bulb is made in Germany and Zoo Med's warranty on it is for 12 months.
https://www.boxturtleworld.com/reptilesupplies/zoo-med-reptisun-5-high-output-t5-bulb-review/
The fact that Zoo Med warranties the bulb's output for 12 months says something. What I have not seen (which I would expect if it were happening) are people complaining that Reptisun T5s are not lasting a year, or that Reptisun is not honoring their warranty. If the latter were happening, I have no doubt the reptile community would be screaming about it.

See also: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=lifespan+of+reptisun+t5

There may be other valid reasons for people preferring one brand over the other—that's not at issue—but from everything I've been able to determine, lifespan of these two T5s lasting at least 12 months should not be one of them.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom