Is this temporary cage good for his size?

Yaboy

New Member
#1
I picked this little guy a day ago from the busy street and I've set a small thing for him until I get a proper set up.

But is this gonna be good enough for a few days?

if not, do you have any other ideas?









Btw I noticed he hasn't been eating for more than 24 hours. Should I be concerned? Thanks everyone!
 

Syreptyon

Chameleon Enthusiast
#3
That is definitely not a good cage for a chameleon... Why did you think it was a good idea to buy an extremely sensitive and young animal without having the proper equipment? That is significantly too small for it. The dirt in the bottom may cause compaction if it accidentally ingests any. It is likely not eating because it is not receiving close to adequate care.

What are you doing for water? Heat? UVB? You ought to act fast and improve its conditions.
 

Yaboy

New Member
#4
That is definitely not a good cage for a chameleon... Why did you think it was a good idea to buy an extremely sensitive and young animal without having the proper equipment? That is significantly too small for it. The dirt in the bottom may cause compaction if it accidentally ingests any. It is likely not eating because it is not receiving close to adequate care.

What are you doing for water? Heat? UVB? You ought to act fast and improve its conditions.
Hey, as I said, I picked him up from a busy street where he could've been stepped on VERY easily, I have no idea how he got there since my city has pretty much no trees or nature.

Also, I am not familiar with this kind of animal and just wanted to help. I had no idea what I got myself into. I'm trying to get the proper water, heat and uvb set-up but as I said this is a *temporary set-up* until I get all the necessary stuff (1 week or so). I will try to improve the current set up, do you have any ideas for the enclosure?

appreciate your help man.
 

Fireborn

Avid Member
#6
Well it will definitely hold him but he won't stay healthy long if he remains in an container like that. It's important to use organic fertilizers free fine grain soil with no large chunks as large matter can cause impaction. If you have a larger Rubbermaid bin you can place paper towels down instead and throw some sticks in for him to climb. He will need to be misted for humility and drinking water. He might not eat right away because he's in a new environment but make sure his feeders are no wider than is head.
 

Yaboy

New Member
#7
Oh you picked him up off the literal street!! I thought you were just using a weird expression haha. Wow, haven't heard that one before.
Well dang, give this page a read-through. It'll give you some ideas for what the little thing needs: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

I have a meeting in 5 minutes or I'd stick around. Good luck and hopefully some other members chime in (y)
Thanks for your help buy the link you've submited is for a veiled cham and I have a "common chameleon" does that make a diffrence or the guide applys to all kinds of chams?

Thanks once again!
 
#10
Well it will definitely hold him but he won't stay healthy long if he remains in an container like that. It's important to use organic fertilizers free fine grain soil with no large chunks as large matter can cause impaction. If you have a larger Rubbermaid bin you can place paper towels down instead and throw some sticks in for him to climb. He will need to be misted for humility and drinking water. He might not eat right away because he's in a new environment but make sure his feeders are no wider than is head.
Thanks for the reply!

I'm struggling to find a place in my country which sells crickets and other live insects. So for now I've tried to feed him an alive butterly with a wing cut off but the butterfly has not been eating yet. I'm pretty sure he would have noticed it on such a small cage.

Anyway, I will try find a Rubbermaid bin somewhere and upgraded his set-up as he seems rather uncomfortable, I'm holding im on my hands for now.

Also, one thing I noticed is that he sleeps or closes his eyes quite a lot. Is that normal?
 
#11
It is not normal for him to be sleeping in the day. Either something might be bothering his eyes or he could be ill. Does he open his eyes at all? Try your best to find some grasshoppers, locusts, or worms he might consider eating. If he's native to where you live he may recognize the butterfly as unbeatable if the butterfly is toxic. Try offering a variety of whatever you can.
 
#12
It is not normal for him to be sleeping in the day. Either something might be bothering his eyes or he could be ill. Does he open his eyes at all? Try your best to find some grasshoppers, locusts, or worms he might consider eating. If he's native to where you live he may recognize the butterfly as unbeatable if the butterfly is toxic. Try offering a variety of whatever you can.
He does open his eyes when I pick him up or when he notices any movement. I'm gonna try to find some worms as I have some near my house.

by the way, what about ants? do they eat those?

(and yeah he is native to where I live)
 
#13
It is not normal for him to be sleeping in the day. Either something might be bothering his eyes or he could be ill. Does he open his eyes at all? Try your best to find some grasshoppers, locusts, or worms he might consider eating. If he's native to where you live he may recognize the butterfly as unbeatable if the butterfly is toxic. Try offering a variety of whatever you can.
Also it doesn't look like he got something in his eyes.
 
#16
It is not normal for him to be sleeping in the day. Either something might be bothering his eyes or he could be ill. Does he open his eyes at all? Try your best to find some grasshoppers, locusts, or worms he might consider eating. If he's native to where you live he may recognize the butterfly as unbeatable if the butterfly is toxic. Try offering a variety of whatever you can.
Do you know if this poop looks good?
 

Attachments

#20
Were you able to find a Rubbermaid bin to put him in while you wait for a proper cage? And have you been keeping up on misting the enclosure so he can have some drinking water? :)
 
Top Bottom