is this ok

Your cage looks ok. What size is it? It seems like it might be a little on the small side (hard to tell from the photo). I would also add a ficus for more coverage. Chameleons like to be able to hide, the cham will feel safer in thier enclosure. How high off the ground is your cage? Its a good Idea to keep the cage just above eye level. I can't tell what kind of lamp you are using. Could you provide the make and model? Is it a tube or compact (screw in style). Also, what kind of basking lamp are you providing?

So far so good though, just need some details so we can help ya even more.

hes a jacksons... and i have a 5.0 18' uva/uvb.... are the artificial trees harmful for him

You answered some of my questions while I was typing. :eek: But to answer your fake tree question: no not really. It just doesn't seem like you have enough coverage. Real trees/plants help keep the humidity up. Since you are keeping a Jacksoni, the more humidity, the better.

its a 24/18/24.... its at waist high maybe 2 feet...as for the lamp its a tube 18 inch long 5.0 by zoo med... as for the basking i have the smaller round screw type its the red bulb not sure what wattage it is but its the lowest ...thanks for the advice question really curious why above eye level?

its a 24/18/24.... its at waist high maybe 2 feet...as for the lamp its a tube 18 inch long 5.0 by zoo med... as for the basking i have the smaller round screw type its the red bulb not sure what wattage it is but its the lowest ...thanks for the advice question really curious why above eye level?

Chameleons live up in trees. They feel safer when above anything that they might feel is a threat... you. ;)

I would definately go for some live plants in there. What are your temps and humidity like? Also, my female Jackson drinks alot so a dripper along with frequent mistings are a must. I could be wrong but I think you have a female, anyone else have an opinion?

All you really need for basking is a regular 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (depending on how far away it is). Jacksons don't need/like TOO much heat, but boy do they need high humidity. I agree on the live plant idea and might go so far as to say get a cool mist humidifier going (by the way, I didn't notice a drip system of any kind. It's important for your Jack to drink when it wants)

Besides losing the red light you might reconsider the substrate on the floor. Paper towel is easier to deal with cleaning-wise, and safer to boot.

Have a riot, we have a dwarf Jackson, and it is MUCH less people hateful than some breeds out there bless their cold-blooded souls)

im going to be looking into buying a ficus tomorrow... as for the temp it ranges from 72-75 and the humidity from high 60s to 90 when i mist but it usually stays in the mid 70s... i thank the ecoearth and moss for that... mine actually walks up to the straw from the lil dripper to drink been doing it on its own sense i got it... i say it because i dont know how to sex a jacksons yet ill be looking it up later you just sparked my curiosity... never really though of it before... thxz for the info

Temps sound good just try not to go over ambient of 75. I have a basking spot of 80 in my setup and she only seems to like it early in the morning, the rest of the day she spends next to the fake vine I have set below her dripper. After looking again I am almost certain you have a female btw. Good luck with her!!!

i see... ill be replacing the bulb while im there ....as for the floor i chose eco eart and moss to keep the humidity up... i dont mind the cleaning but if its a safety issue ill be remove it... i thought it was safe?... not really sure what type of jacksons it is when i bought it from the pet shop the owner didnt know but he look really healthy so i bought him ...can you tell what type he is from the pic? ... another question i use to use sera reptilin vitamins on the water dripper (3 drops) but i stoped using should i continue using it ?

Temps sound good just try not to go over ambient of 75. I have a basking spot of 80 in my setup and she only seems to like it early in the morning, the rest of the day she spends next to the fake vine I have set below her dripper. After looking again I am almost certain you have a female btw. Good luck with her!!!

thanks for the advise...i hope its a she... but im not sure what u mean by BTW?... im new to the chameleon vernacular

but im not sure what u mean by BTW?... im new to the chameleon vernacular

BTW = By The Way. ;)

"After looking again I am almost certain you have a female By The Way"

Internet shorthand :rolleyes:.

I am not sure about this because I do not keep Jacksoni, but most female chameleons need to lay eggs regardless of fertility. You might want to look into it or someone from the forum can answer.:confused:

Good luck and also welcome to the forum.

From the looks of it she would be jacksonii xantholophus. As far as your water situation, I don't use anything in my chams dripper but it's up to you. I figure if I drink it it's good enough for her but I do change it out about every day to prevent bacteria growth. If you are going to get a new bulb for your basking lamp, I just use a 40 watt flood bulb set about 8 or 10" away from her spot and that seems to keep it between 80-81 degrees. I hope this helps.

..as for the floor i chose eco eart and moss to keep the humidity up... i dont mind the cleaning but if its a safety issue ill be remove it... i thought it was safe?...
Howdy,

Other than ingestion and impaction, Eco Earth, on its own, is a relatively safe product. The big problem is that as your chameleon poops, parasites and bacteria can infect feeders and also many types can be directly re-introduced to your chameleon through contact. Exponential expansion may be the result. A nice, clean PVC bottom with drainage will prove safer in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom