Is This Normal?

Dbash44

Avid Member
I’ve had a lot of success with a couple clutches hatching normally in the last few weeks.

However, I noticed today one from an unrelated clutch decided that it wanted to bust out of its egg like The Incredible Hulk. Not sure if that’s normal or if the egg ruptured from being too moist.

9D9413D5-2797-4C5A-BFC3-2719C8655A49.jpeg

Is the hatchling ok? What species?
It looks like the egg burst..but why? Can you take a photo of the eggs further back with something in the photo so I can see the size.

Is the hatchling ok? What species?
It looks like the egg burst..but why? Can you take a photo of the eggs further back with something in the photo so I can see the size.

Panther chameleon eggs. They look close in size to the other clutches that are hatching. The neonate inside looks developed, but I haven’t touched it.

I know you’re in Canada so I got pictures with a ruler as well as a nickel. Wasn’t sure if the nickel worked for you.

BE8ABE88-C8DA-4C47-BB12-4975A05A3F39.jpeg

63C18661-4347-4834-8520-8D2D2B6C7CCD.jpeg

7931B933-A8E1-4F94-BC97-25F17858941F.jpeg

Looks too wet, could be bacteria related. They'll swell and burst.

So maybe change the incubating medium then?

The size of the eggs looks ok. (And you even showed it against the inch mark not the cm side of the ruler!)

It might be a little moist but I can't be sure if I can't feel it.

The stuff over its face...is it stuck to the face? Or loose?

The size of the eggs looks ok. (And you even showed it against the inch mark not the cm side of the ruler!)

It might be a little moist but I can't be sure if I can't feel it.

The stuff over its face...is it stuck to the face? Or loose?
Dang I thought I was being helpful. Shoulda thought that one through haha :ROFLMAO:

I used my nail to lightly see if it was stuck and it is not. I've decided to leave it be for now since it seems to be ok still. Any suggestions?

You were being helpful...I can figure out cm and grams if I have to but I grew up with inches and pounds so I know that better of course.

I hate to tell people what I would do in situations like this in case I'm wrong...if you think it could breath with that stuff over the face then I'd leave it but I'd also keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't dry out and get stuck.

Also since its in with other eggs I would be careful not to have the lid off the container too often or for too long each time because it might cause problems with the other eggs.

Now that I have said that ...it's still your decision! :)
Keep me posted!

You were being helpful...I can figure out cm and grams if I have to but I grew up with inches and pounds so I know that better of course.

I hate to tell people what I would do in situations like this in case I'm wrong...if you think it could breath with that stuff over the face then I'd leave it but I'd also keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't dry out and get stuck.

Also since its in with other eggs I would be careful not to have the lid off the container too often or for too long each time because it might cause problems with the other eggs.

Now that I have said that ...it's still your decision! :)
Keep me posted!

Oh great! That's what I was trying to accomplish. I'm glad it was a success.

I mean you have 30+ years experience with this and I have less than that. I'm not afraid to admit that I don't know exactly what to do sometimes other than make an educated guess. I've accepted that this might turn out for the worst and am not setting expectations with it. I'd rather ask then let my ego get in the way.

With that being said, I will happily take your advice and won't blame you if something goes wrong. I assume that I'll end up wishing I would have listened to you. I'll go ahead and move the stuff off the face.

I will definitely be careful with the container remaining open too long. I may end up quarantining the open egg into it's own container so I can keep an eye on it without having to disturb the other eggs. What is your opinion on removing the neonate from the egg if nothing changes?

If you move it to another container make sure the substrate is about the same temperature when you move it...and the humidity too.

It's six of one half dozen of the other when it comes to deciding whether to remove it or not....so go with your gut.

I've used the coarse vermiculite for many years and hatched a lot of different species of eggs using it. Just like any other substrate that is used you have to get the moisture content right.

I don't use vermiculite!!!!!

I’ve never used anything but vermiculite. I have a clutch of Ambilobe eggs I’ve divided between vermiculite and hatchrite to see how/of the results differ.

What’s your incubation media of choice?

I've used the coarse vermiculite for many years and hatched a lot of different species of eggs using it. Just like any other substrate that is used you have to get the moisture content right.

I checked on that batch of eggs tonight and noticed the one open one was molded over pretty severely. Removed it as to not affect the other eggs.

What did the bugs look like?

Please read all of this paragraph before doing it...if you do decide to do it....
I would lift up the other eggs carefully to see if there are any bugs under them or any tiny holes in the underside of the eggs....but if you do, don't turn the eggs when you're doing it. I'm wondering if the bugs came from a parasitic insect and they're in all the eggs. Be very careful if you do decide to do this. Check the substrate under the eggs too.

What did the bugs look like?

Please read all of this paragraph before doing it...if you do decide to do it....
I would lift up the other eggs carefully to see if there are any bugs under them or any tiny holes in the underside of the eggs....but if you do, don't turn the eggs when you're doing it. I'm wondering if the bugs came from a parasitic insect and they're in all the eggs. Be very careful if you do decide to do this. Check the substrate under the eggs too.

I have not changed it yet. I had a feeling I should wait for your response and I’m glad I did.

The bugs were small and black about the size of pinhead crickets. No wings. Almost looked like mites, but I’m not sure. What parasitic bugs are you referencing so I can look up and compare?

Some people use plants in female viv.... I don't use vermiculite due to volatile ingredients... I used to use repashy superhatch, I now use cactus growing media, 3 different ingredients, regular plant soil, perlite, small chopped bits of sphagnum moss. Everybody uses different stuff...

Some people use plants in female viv.... I don't use vermiculite due to volatile ingredients... I used to use repashy superhatch, I now use cactus growing media, 3 different ingredients, regular plant soil, perlite, small chopped bits of sphagnum moss. Everybody uses different stuff...

We're talking about the egg hatching medium/substrate...are you talking about the cage?

Vermiculite is not volatile...it's ph neutral, inert , hydrated magnesium, iron, aluminium silicate mineral that absorbs water well.

Right, aluminum silicate is toxic. Some people use plants as a deposit for a female to lay eggs, as in they do in nature. I've lost a bunch of eggs in vermiculite. I currently have 20 or so clutches incubating in superhatch & my own cactus potting mix, they are doing very good and currently hatching, never lost any in what I use. That's just my experience

Back
Top Bottom