Is this an ear slider turtle?

salty dog

Chameleon Enthusiast
My daughter found it by the river
39A0F060-4574-4562-BC94-B75670D65C9A.jpeg

Thanks!! It will have to stay outside, summer. May-sept 95° ● oct-feb 30°-50° will that be ok?

I'll keep him, we named him gandalf, I have never had a turtle before, so it will be like a learning experience, he looks like a new hatchling, my daughter found him on a sidewalk completely dry away from water... he must be a survivor

I'll keep him, we named him gandalf, I have never had a turtle before, so it will be like a learning experience, he looks like a new hatchling, my daughter found him on a sidewalk completely dry away from water... he must be a survivor
They're super cute. You'll want a good filter, they're really messy. Petco/petsmart usually sells anacharis (floating aquatic plant) for cheap and they love hanging out on it, plus it helps with water quality. They're good little swimmers.

P. S. I'm sure you know this but turtles (especially babies) often carry samonella so be sure to wash hands well after handling!

What I put him in is temporary, he was an unexpected addition I'll build him a nice pond in my backyard, he will be spoiled!! I am either 100 ./° or not at all, thats how I am

What I put him in is temporary, he was an unexpected addition I'll build him a nice pond in my backyard, he will be spoiled!! I am either 100 ./° or not at all, thats how I am
Sounds like today was his lucky day! Have fun, turtles are awesome.

Samonella is yucky, I read about that, we washed our hands good, I really like turtles, just never took one in. Thank you for the input!! Any other advice would be appreciated!!!

Samonella is yucky, I read about that, we washed our hands good, I really like turtles, just never took one in. Thank you for the input!! Any other advice would be appreciated!!!
I kept mine indoors in a large tank (apartment back then so no yard or pond!) but I found as long as they have food and clean water they're happy (and super fun to watch). They relatively easy and even friendly, especially compared to chameleons! Enjoy.

Thanks!!! What did you feed yours? Mine is 1 1/4 inches, pretty small right now, I will drill a small hole and use a plug to switch the water in the current container when it gets dirty for a week or 2 till I figure out what filter system I'll use in his permenant home, do you think that would be ok?

Thanks!!! What did you feed yours? Mine is 1 1/4 inches, pretty small right now, I will drill a small hole and use a plug to switch the water in the current container when it gets dirty for a week or 2 till I figure out what filter system I'll use in his permenant home, do you think that would be ok?
I think that's fine short term! I fed mine the store bought turtle pellets, dark leafy greens, crickets, earthworms, superworms, shredded carrots and zucchini. They're omnivores but babies should have lots of protein.

Couple cute graphics for you

Attachments

• DF7EA0E4-8C7D-475D-BFB1-C019E99D32C3.png
    DF7EA0E4-8C7D-475D-BFB1-C019E99D32C3.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 7B4B5E25-67FC-4579-ACA2-F4B14554EBF8.png
    7B4B5E25-67FC-4579-ACA2-F4B14554EBF8.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 117
I'm worried about keeping him outside, although it must have hatched in a body of water in this climate...everything I read says warm warm warm, he is currently in a path of direct sunlight from noon till sunset

I'm worried about keeping him outside, although it must have hatched in a body of water in this climate...everything I read says warm warm warm, he is currently in a path of direct sunlight from noon till sunset
Can't bring him inside short term? Once you have a pond he'll be fine brumating in it over winter.

Back
Top Bottom