Is this a good "hood" option?

helloliz

HELP - any reviews on this "slider" hood? (this is the view from the bottom: has space for the UVB fluorescent light, basking light and maybe a heat bulb for night time to replace that red light? as we keep the house cool). My husband prefers all the lighting to be housed together on top of the Reptibreeze cage and he is suggesting we get this one (as he likes the "clean" look). We are setting up everything before getting our 3 month old Panther chameleon.

Link to product: www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=128&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1

Will this work? Or do you say "stay with the traditional clam lamp and fluorescent hood"? Am I making sense? :) Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 4.01.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-08-16 at 4.01.30 PM.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 98
You can replace the incandescents with flourescent daylight bulbs, if needed for plant growth. Not optimal, but will work on a not so demanding plant. The UVB LED combo light is pretty nice. Zoomed makes great lights. As long as house doesn't drop below 65°f, I wouldn't worry about a light at night.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only thing I don't like about it, other than the price ;), is that there's a separate screen covering the lights. It would make me wonder how much UVB is being lost by having 2 layers of screen between the UVB lamp and your chameleon. It can probably be taken off, though. It does look nice in an all in one package, so I can see why your husband likes it.

Here's a link to pictures on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B0002DIQXS/ref=cm_cr_dp_cust_img_see_all_txt

I agree with melissa, if there is a screen or any other interference, it needs to be removed. Try the UVB LED combo.

Any screen interference of any sort takes away ~90% of UVB that should hopefully be going to the Cham. instead of being kinda wasted because it being reflected.

Thank you guys! I didn't even think about the screen that it comes with. Finally convinced my husband to just use the regular clamp lamp / uvb hood.

Ah! Thanks for correcting me. I thought it said 90 or something somewhere else... Glad I am learning this stuff before I tell too many incorrect things. This whole site is a full some learning experience

Ah! Thanks for correcting me. I thought it said 90 or something somewhere else... Glad I am learning this stuff before I tell too many incorrect things. This whole site is a full some learning experience

Some mistakes are helpful. It drives home the point of NO SCREEN or GLASS! Just don't tell anyone to set their temps at 5,500 kelvin and an RH of 2%. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom