Is these colours healthy??

Dckt100818

I’ve read different things on different sites about colours and colouring and I’m confused as to what these colours mean. My Cham is eating healthy and pooping regularly, has a lovely temperament and is very mobile. I’m just very confused.

Attachments

• 952D6FDD-D690-48EC-AED1-23A1A9A1B129.jpeg
    952D6FDD-D690-48EC-AED1-23A1A9A1B129.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 102
Those colors can be him trying to heat up but if he’s like that all day then you need a husbandry check.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
• Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2. Photos can be very helpful.

It looks stressed, they get skinny like a stick and spotty like that. Looks to be trying to hide from something. What does the rest of your enclosure look like? Does it have lots of places to hide?

I’ve had him just over a week. Temps (top and bottom) and humidity are fine the tank is a reptibreeze (41x41x76cm). The lighting and fittings are all exo terra. I know bio active is recommended but I kinda wanted to walk before I ran as it’s my first Cham. I’ve had lizards and tortoises before but never a Cham. Fed on small locusts every day in the morning 10-12. Has been showing flashes of green colouring in the last couple of days. I think it’s me stressing him to some extent as I lost my dad this year and my mum has moved out to live with her new fella so my Cham is my main company. I got told when I got him he was a couple of months old. I’m using exo terra calcium supplement. I know my set up is very basic but rest assured I plan to add to it regularly as i plan on my Cham ending up with the chameleon version of a palace.

Attachments

• 5B8B1E47-7244-4A81-9585-8B8B317461C7.jpeg
    5B8B1E47-7244-4A81-9585-8B8B317461C7.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 83
Hi and welcome if you could fill out the husbandry form as suggested the great people on here will be able to help point you in the right direction. Is your cham def a boy males will have spurs on there back legs. So anyway you will need to add plenty of branches for climbing and get live plants . Your boy could well b stressed as there isn't really any coverage for him to hide and feel safe (plants). Some good place's to pick up info chameleon school. Chameleon academy. And you tube channel Neptune the chameleon 😁

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, 2-3 months old I was told. I call him a he but not sure. I’ve had him just over a week.
• Handling - I’ve held off handling to allow him to settle in.
• Feeding - locusts 10-12 and small meal worms (not every day) in a morning.
• Supplements - exo terra supplements
• Watering - Manually misted at least 3 times a day, I have seen him drink.
• Fecal Description - Long and dark (seems to have no problem passing) also white present (presuming that is urine?)
• History - no history given from pet shop only that he’s about 2-3 months old.
Cage Info:
• Cage Type - reptibreeze zoo med (41x41x76cm
• Lighting - exo terra canopy with exo terra 150 reptile uvb bulb. Komodo dome clamp lamp with exo terra 100w daylight basking bulb. On during the day and off at night as much as possible to a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule.
• Temperature - around 81 at basking spot and around 76 at floor. Got a dual prob thermometer.
• Humidity - humidity levels between 52-68 I’ve recorded. Dual thermometer can read humidity too.
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Using artificial plants
• Placement - cage is located in corner of room, not near fans, vents or high traffic areas. Top of cage is 167cm from floor.
• Location - Noth Lincolnshire uk
Current Problem - Cham colouring

Hi and welcome if you could fill out the husbandry form as suggested the great people on here will be able to help point you in the right direction. Is your cham def a boy males will have spurs on there back legs. So anyway you will need to add plenty of branches for climbing and get live plants . Your boy could well b stressed as there isn't really any coverage for him to hide and feel safe (plants). Some good place's to pick up info chameleon school. Chameleon academy. And you tube channel Neptune the chameleon 😁

Have I posted the husbandry in the right place??

it looks like a boy Cham.
He definitely need more hiding places and branches to move around.
What exactly are his supplements? with D3? No D3? Multivitamins?
For UVB you want a T5 HO linear fixture.
100 watt bulb seems too much, even though you reach desire temps, he can still get burnt. What's the distance from bulb to highest branch? try a 25 watt and measure temps. You're aiming at 85-90 for basking.
Your humidity is a bit high during the day about 40% is optimal with lights on and 85-100% at night is perfect.
Ditch the meal worms, they're way better options, as in Roaches, Superworms. Even crickets are better than mealworms.

More members will hop in and provide more details and point you in the right direction.

It’s about 7 inch from the highest branch to the top of the cage where the lamp is. I have been using a lamp shade as you can see in the picture in case it was too close. Like I said I’ve had lizards and tortoise before but are new to owning a Cham. I’d done research before I picked him up so I wasn’t fully blind. The equipment I got was at the recommendation of the pet store. I am also aware how basic the set up but I do plan to add a lot to it to make him as happy as possible. If he was lethargic, not eating etc I’d be less confused. But he’s full of beans, eating like a trooper and pooping as I’ve read he should be. This site is a life saver tbh

Sorry to hear you lost your Dad and your Mom moved away.
I can understand that the chameleon is an important part of your life right now.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, 2-3 months old I was told. I call him a he but not sure. I’ve had him just over a week. Look on the heels...if there are tarsal Spurs there then it's a male.
• Feeding - locusts 10-12 and small meal worms (not every day) in a morning. Mealworms are not recommended for chameleons...but silkworms, BSFL, roaches, locusts, hornworms are good choices. Waxworms and superworms can be used as treats. It's important to feed/gutload the insects properly. For crickets, roaches, , locusts you can use dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, and a tiny bit of fruit such as pears, apples, berries, melon, papaya, etc.
• Supplements - exo terra supplements it's recommended to use a phos free calcium powder on all feedings but one a week. On that day alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder.
• Watering - Manually misted at least 3 times a day, I have seen him drink. You can use a dripper as well.
• Fecal Description - Long and dark (seems to have no problem passing) also white present (presuming that is urine?)
Cage Info:
• Lighting - exo terra canopy with exo terra 150 reptile uvb bulb. Komodo dome clamp lamp with exo terra 100w daylight basking bulb. On during the day and off at night as much as possible to a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule. Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear 5.0 Reptisun tube light or the Arcadia 12 long linear tube light. For basking...no colored lights...regular household incandescent (not LED) light of a wattage that puts the basking temperature just above 80F.
• Temperature - around 81 at basking spot and around 76 at floor. Got a dual prob thermometer.
• Humidity - humidity levels between 52-68 I’ve recorded. Dual thermometer can read humidity too.
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Using artificial plants Real well washed, both sides of the leaves, nontoxic plants are recommended. Veileds nibble and have been known to ingest fake leaves at times.
• Placement - cage is located in corner of room, not near fans, vents or high traffic areas. Top of cage is 167cm from floor.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, 2-3 months old I was told. I call him a he but not sure. I’ve had him just over a week.
Cage Info:
• Lighting - exo terra canopy with exo terra 150 reptile uvb bulb. Komodo dome clamp lamp with exo terra 100w daylight basking bulb. On during the day and off at night as much as possible to a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule.
I think the color is fine...showing stress a bit though.
Your cage needs more greenery and branches.

He might be stressed.. that’s what it looks like to me. I would say try to get more plants asap and live ones. He may not have enough places to hide as mentioned above. And it doesn’t look like you have the correct UVB I will link a good one to order below. Pet stores don’t really know what they’re talking about most the time, the kits come with a lot of useless things. If you’re using a colored light, take it out. I would say try adding more plants and getting the proper UVB and see if his colors change. If you post a pic of his back feet we can tell you the gender. Male veileds have spurs on the back feet.

I’m planning a cage restructuring tomorrow. I think the fact that he’s eating and pooping like a trooper and is very active confused me more. I read about the stress encountered when going to a new home. He seems to flit between confidence with me in the sense of sometimes he’s responsive of me putting food in, cleaning the bottom etc but then other times he hides. I always make sure I’m lower than him etc. But I can understand that to him I must seem bloody petrifying. Haha

Sorry to hear you lost your Dad and your Mom moved away.
I can understand that the chameleon is an important part of your life right now.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, 2-3 months old I was told. I call him a he but not sure. I’ve had him just over a week. Look on the heels...if there are tarsal Spurs there then it's a male.
• Feeding - locusts 10-12 and small meal worms (not every day) in a morning. Mealworms are not recommended for chameleons...but silkworms, BSFL, roaches, locusts, hornworms are good choices. Waxworms and superworms can be used as treats. It's important to feed/gutload the insects properly. For crickets, roaches, , locusts you can use dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, and a tiny bit of fruit such as pears, apples, berries, melon, papaya, etc.
• Supplements - exo terra supplements it's recommended to use a phos free calcium powder on all feedings but one a week. On that day alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder.
• Watering - Manually misted at least 3 times a day, I have seen him drink. You can use a dripper as well.
Cage Info:
• Lighting - exo terra canopy with exo terra 150 reptile uvb bulb. Komodo dome clamp lamp with exo terra 100w daylight basking bulb. On during the day and off at night as much as possible to a 12 hour on and 12 hour off schedule. Most recommended UVB lights are the long linear 5.0 Reptisun tube light or the Arcadia 12 long linear tube light. For basking...no colored lights...regular household incandescent (not LED) light of a wattage that puts the basking temperature just above 80F.
• Plants - Are you using live plants? Using artificial plants Real well washed, both sides of the leaves, nontoxic plants are recommended. Veileds nibble and have been known to ingest fake leaves at times.

Chameleon Info:
Cage Info:
I think the color is fine...showing stress a bit though.
Your cage needs more greenery and branches.
Nice comment

It looks stressed try to leave him alone and also he could be adapting to heat. But if it is like that all day get a husbandry check or something

Update on cage layout. Is there anything else I could do??

Attachments

• 37A897D5-85F5-4984-8658-4401C0EBD489.jpeg
    37A897D5-85F5-4984-8658-4401C0EBD489.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 64
Getting there. Live plants Northampton reptile centre,global gekos . You will want to think about an upgrade in a wee while as your boy will quickly out grow his current one a 2x2x4 is recommended. The proper light as mentioned by other members arcadia pro t5 6%. Also you want your daytime humidity 30/50 % max (you stated 52-68) night time can go right to 100 . Try not to get your probe wet as this will give false reading. Silkworm store is a good for bsfl dubia Silkworms.

His colour seems to be more like what it should lately.

Attachments

• DD5B263C-E74F-4BAA-9382-6C9365D7A511.jpeg
    DD5B263C-E74F-4BAA-9382-6C9365D7A511.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 6A9BBBC5-4F71-41FD-BCC4-4AE1CED17271.jpeg
    6A9BBBC5-4F71-41FD-BCC4-4AE1CED17271.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom