Is there such thing as too much UVB?

chic9336

I recently upgraded my male veiled chameleons cage to the Zoo Med XL (24X24X48) one. I already have been using the Zilla tropical 25 UVB T8 fixture already is that enough UVB?

Did you take the plastic cover off of the fixture? With a T8 you’ll want either an Arcadia 12% or Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T8 bulb. The bulb should be 6” from the basking branch.

Yes I took the plastic cover off the fixture if you are referring to what I bought it in? Not the plastic surrounding the bulb of the fixture. What would the difference be from the UVB I’m using now vs. something you recommended? Also the bulb is 6 inches away.

The plastic surrounding the bulb needs to go, it’s blocking all of the UVB from getting to your chameleon. Zoo Med and Arcadia are the only recommended brands, and since your lighting is T8, stronger bulbs are needed. If you wouldn’t mind posting some pics of your chameleon, that’d be great, too!

What type of bulb are you using in your T8 fixture? Reptisun? Arcadia? That fixture looks like it has a reflector behind and around the bulb as well so rays will penetrate deeper into the cage, extending almost to the floor depending on what brand and level of intensity the UVB bulb is that you're using in it.

I recommend you switch to a T5 fixture (you can find one on amazon for cheap) https://www.amazon.com/SunBester-LS...bfcf6&pd_rd_wg=lXwnp&pd_rd_i=B077CHKPB1&psc=1

Also recommend you switch to this UVB bulb to put in the fixture https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...5632625&sprefix=Arcadia+12%,tools,226&sr=8-22

I use this as well and suspend the my 5.0 bulbs (in reflector domes) 2" above the screen cage, and the highest point of the basking branch is about 3-5" in. from the top of the screen cage underneath. So, about 6" away from the uvb bulb is how far the top of my chams back is from their uvb bulb when they bask on their basking branch. I used a solarmeter 6.5 to help me find the correct distances, which I recommend you get one as well. It'll make your life so much easier and less stressful knowing you're not blasting your chams w/ too much, or not giving them as much UVB as they need. You'll wanna aim for UVI reading of 3-3.5 at the basking branch, highest point at 6-7, and you want the bottom portions of the cage to sit at around 0-1.

Back
Top Bottom