Is there something wrong with my chameleon?

Yodas Mom...in the second set of pictures you posted, the right arm and leg are showing signs of calcium issues. You need to take your chameleon to a vet for treatment IMHO.

Yodas Mom...in the second set of pictures you posted, the right arm and leg are showing signs of calcium issues. You need to take your chameleon to a vet for treatment IMHO.

I too agree with this above statement. The legs are showing signs of calcium issues there. Perhaps some liquid calcium and some better lighting will help this guy. Dark colors are also signs of stress.

He definitely has some bone density/calcium/phosphorus issues. The "collapsed" spinal posture and bent legs are give aways. You can improve his life a lot though. He may not ever look totally normal as the bones will heal as they are, but he may not get any worse with better lighting (don't believe the claims on most reptile lights...they don't stand up to independent testing usually) and feeding. Getting outdoors in real sun is great...when the weather permits, but you probably won't be able to do this year round. The ReptiSun 5.0 is consistently best and safest for eyes. Good quality gutloading his insects is important too. Give his feeders fresh leafy greens, fruit and veggies (not broccoli or spinach), fortified cereal grains, bee pollen. Most commercial insect gutloads sold in pet shops are pretty terrible.

Some additional calcium from a vet will help initially, but you can overdose it too. Get him better light, better gutloading, correct calcium dusting and occasional vitamin dusting on a schedule for the longer term so you don't go too far overboard. I haven't treated a cham for calcium deficiency in a long time so am not an expert on current treatments for it.

While improving/correcting husbandry issues will keep his calcium levels in balance, you still have to correct the problem first IMHO. A vet can give the chameleon calcium injections over a period of time and when the blood calcium levels are high enough a shot of calcitonin can be given. This is the quickest way to bring things back in line.

Calcium imbalances also affect more than just the bones, so its important to get things back in line before more damage is done.

As I said, once he is back in good health, then the corrected/proper husbandry should keep him there.

As Carlton said, he will likely always have the deformed bones he already has.

He definitely has some bone density/calcium/phosphorus issues. The "collapsed" spinal posture and bent legs are give aways.

He doesnt usually stand like that, never seen him do it before it was like he was trying to stop me from picking him up, I was wondering why ppl thought he has a calcium problem. I do need to get some powder for his crickets that doesnt contain D3 so he can get a daily dose of calcium.

The ReptiSun 5.0 is consistently best and safest for eyes.

Yes, I am getting new lighting before it gets colder.

Good quality gutloading his insects is important too. Give his feeders fresh leafy greens, fruit and veggies (not broccoli or spinach), fortified cereal grains, bee pollen.

I have just started feeding the crickets fresh fruit and veg. I didnt know that was classed as gut loading before so didnt do it.

Yodas Mom said..."I was wondering why ppl thought he has a calcium problem"...the bones in the two limbs I mentioned are showing deformed/broken bones and that is a sign of calcium issues.

Back
Top Bottom