Is there anyways to prevent cats or raccoons from getting into this? I got stakes all around it and I’m adding an additional third level of wood

Ben28tx

I know cats and raccoons eat chameleons but how about rats and possums? Would they eat thru the mesh to get inside? They been fine these last 4 weeks but now I’m trippin bout it

Beautiful enclosures! There’s a couple of options that might work. First, they make sonic rodent deterrents that a motion activated; they work pretty well for raccoons and skunks, but I’m not sure about cats. There are also motion activated water sprayers that people often use for koi ponds to keep cats and herons away: they just spray a jet of water at the offending animals. Each is fairly cheap.

You could also cover the outside with chicken wire. I used 1/2” wire mesh rather than the usual window screen for my outdoor enclosures, and this made them animal proof. Obviously, you probably don’t want to redo the enclosures, but adding a layer of chicken wire over the outside will have the same effect.

Animal feed, farm stores and Ace hardware sell a little device that you hook up to a conductive surface [i.e. not aluminum] and makes it a "low voltage" electrified fence. They sell the mesh as well. You could use about a 2ft tall section around the perimeter of your enclosures to keep them out.

I'm not sure where you live, but obviously if it's possible to keep you chams outdoors this time of year.... while cats and raccoons may try to get your chams - they're pretty obvious. I keep a bbgun handy for them. It's the things you can't see that I personally worry about with my guys and gals; mostly snakes and birds. Both are natural predators of chams and will cause them great stress. I've seen snakes wedge themselves into 1/4" (and 1/2") mesh and get stuck in it. They can also get in from underneath so be sure you extend your cage or fencing down into the ground a few inches.

Raccoons are pretty adapt and clever... they can open doors and locks. I'd personally go with electric as it'll deter pretty much everything... at least that's my plan for when I finally get to build my permanent enclosures.

Chamlife makes an excellent point about snakes. I always forget what people further south than me have to contend with.
Honestly, it's my biggest "fear". Not of the snake - I don't like snakes, but I don't fear them - but of the snake getting into my chams cage. In the cage the cham wouldn't be able to escape a snake... even a smaller one.
I'm am however arachnophobic, which is worse. We have so many different spiders here and they get quite large. I've use sprays [they seem to get the spiders a nice buzz...] but you have to physically squash them to be SURE. I've hit them with a shoe and just knocked off a leg or two and they scurry under something. The worst are the mama spiders. On species Carrie's it young on their body and it's a million eyes starring you down!! I've also squished a mama and her tiny horde of babies came screaming out... luckily it was outside.

Anyways. Yea.. snakes will find their way in your house. If you dont have a sealed wire mesh enclosure, you basically have a snake attraction.

Honestly, it's my biggest "fear". Not of the snake - I don't like snakes, but I don't fear them - but of the snake getting into my chams cage. In the cage the cham wouldn't be able to escape a snake... even a smaller one.
I'm am however arachnophobic, which is worse. We have so many different spiders here and they get quite large. I've use sprays [they seem to get the spiders a nice buzz...] but you have to physically squash them to be SURE. I've hit them with a shoe and just knocked off a leg or two and they scurry under something. The worst are the mama spiders. On species Carrie's it young on their body and it's a million eyes starring you down!! I've also squished a mama and her tiny horde of babies came screaming out... luckily it was outside.

Anyways. Yea.. snakes will find their way in your house. If you dont have a sealed wire mesh enclosure, you basically have a snake attraction.
@Ben28tx what breed is your dog?

They are pitbulls but the chameleons and dogs have interacted w each other hundreds of times because they were raised together
I’m not worried bout the dogs
I’m just focus on getting these devices set up now that everyone recommended on here

Back
Top Bottom