Is there a Doc. in the house...

Ren

Ok My oldest daughter got a panther for her birthday and soon to come my middle daughter will too get a chameleon, now with her its a little different, she has cystic fibrosis which is a lung and digestive disease, my wife is concerned and so is her doctor but he doesn't know the answer to this, would it/could it be dangerous to her health at all having a chameleon in her room? I know the apparent possibilities of salmonella and reptiles but I don't know if there is any kind of bacteria that could possibly enter her lungs through the air? We keep a good clean environment for the chams but it would be impossible to keep it completely free from everything i would think...any possibility of an infection growing in her lungs is a no no. So I want to research this a bit before putting it in her room where she would spend a large amount of time in... thanks all..

I'm no doctor but I honestly wouldn't risk it Ren. You just never know, so better to be too safe then sorry. You should give her the chameleon and let her keep it in another room. Just my 2 cents.

This is just my opinion.. please don't consider it a qualified comment.

I would think that your daughters exposure to airborne bacteria or other contaminants , such as fungus and mold, would be no more likely than contracting a respiratory infection from another human's respiration or prescience in her room.

You could first quarantine her cham and check it for potential contamination , by leaving an open petri dish of agar near the chams cage. It would pick up any airborne contaminants in the room. It might be a good idea to first do this test , without the cham in the room as a control.

Also, I would consider purchasing only a CB cham. And keep the chams feeders clean also. They could be a vector of bacteria into your cham.

I would definitely agree not to take a chance. Maybe you could have hers in the living room and tell her that it is special and gets to live out with everyone else. I wouldn't worry as much about the cham but the feeders can be pretty disgusting possible vectors.

Unless you breed all of the feeders yourself, I wouldn't keep the cham in her room.

Ok My oldest daughter got a panther for her birthday and soon to come my middle daughter will too get a chameleon, now with her its a little different, she has cystic fibrosis which is a lung and digestive disease, my wife is concerned and so is her doctor but he doesn't know the answer to this, would it/could it be dangerous to her health at all having a chameleon in her room? I know the apparent possibilities of salmonella and reptiles but I don't know if there is any kind of bacteria that could possibly enter her lungs through the air? We keep a good clean environment for the chams but it would be impossible to keep it completely free from everything i would think...any possibility of an infection growing in her lungs is a no no. So I want to research this a bit before putting it in her room where she would spend a large amount of time in... thanks all..

Ren - we cant help you unless you post your daughers info/husbandry setup. How much UVB is she getting, and are you misting her at least 3x a day? Also, are you dusting her veggies or just straight making her eat them? How about her eyes, do they look sunken at all? Possibly stick her in the shower for an hour or so.

:D:DHEHE sorry friend, I couldnt resist, I know this is a serious question but its just in my nature to make fun when I can.

I kinda agree with others, its may not be worth the risk. Seeing that you all have a few chams around the house, what about a hamster or something instead?

Ren - we cant help you unless you post your daughers info/husbandry setup. How much UVB is she getting, and are you misting her at least 3x a day? Also, are you dusting her veggies or just straight making her eat them? How about her eyes, do they look sunken at all? Possibly stick her in the shower for an hour or so.

:D:DHEHE sorry friend, I couldnt resist, I know this is a serious question but its just in my nature to make fun when I can.

I kinda agree with others, its may not be worth the risk. Seeing that you all have a few chams around the house, what about a hamster or something instead?

Nice, I liked that one, with her big sister having a chameleon, a hamster isn't going to cut it.....I was thinking the same with you guys really, I keep April and Phil in the Family room and 2 other cages in my Emma's room, Anna doesn't care if it is not in her room I just didnt want to leave her out of it all... Also Cammie, here goes As for dusting we do not dust her but she does get 2 capsules of mt10 pancrease with each meal, also a nightime feeding of 4 cans of ensure milk mixed with another 2 1/2 table spoons of pancrease through a G-tube with a dose of ADEK vitamin and 4 breathing treatments a day, and 30 minutes of respiratory cpt treatment, extensive nebulized antibiotics,allergy medications and a Flinstone vitamin...
her appetite has died down but she remains active we give her a shower every day, plenty of natural sunlight, she does not keep her enclosure cleaned very well.....
album_pic.php

Nice, I liked that one, with her big sister having a chameleon, a hamster isn't going to cut it.....I was thinking the same with you guys really, I keep April and Phil in the Family room and 2 other cages in my Emma's room, Anna doesn't care if it is not in her room I just didnt want to leave her out of it all... Also Cammie, here goes As for dusting we do not dust her but she does get 2 capsules of mt10 pancrease with each meal, also a nightime feeding of 4 cans of ensure milk mixed with another 2 1/2 table spoons of pancrease through a G-tube with a dose of ADEK vitamin and 4 breathing treatments a day, and 30 minutes of respiratory cpt treatment, extensive nebulized antibiotics,allergy medications and a Flinstone vitamin...
her appetite has died down but she remains active we give her a shower every day, plenty of natural sunlight, she does not keep her enclosure cleaned very well.....
album_pic.php

Isn't it the owners job to clean the cage/room? lol She's cute. Get her a Cham and keep it in the family room :)

I don't think having a cham will do much if any harm as long as the cage
will be kept clean and blah blah blah..

Make her happy, letting her care for something will be great medicine too.
I think that the benefits of having a "gnarly pet" will be well worth it.
All the other neighborhood kids will be green with envy.

Re: salmonella
She's already exposed to it if she's ever handled any uncooked chicken
or chicken eggs. I believe that the animals are clean and safe
if normal handwashing is done after cleaning their cage for example.

Let your own best judgement be your guide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom