Is the Exo Terra Egg Incubator worth the Price?

Ilike4hornedchams

Established Member
Hey everyone!
First things first I wanna say that I plan on scaling up a bit over time so I don't want to dabble wasting time or money buying a cheap incubator not that I later dislike and toss to get a better one.
Basically I wanna get a good one to start with so I am willing to spend up to $250 now for a really good quality one that can house up to 6 clutches at a time. Does anyone know of a better choice than the Exo Terra incubator? I looks like its pretty sophisticated but then I read it cannot run for months on end, long term with kinda concerns me a little. Should I not be concerned? I know its basically a mini fridge lol. Lemmi know what you guys think I appreciate your advice! 1360949270-65706800.jpg

I have never seen/heard of this. But why is it pictured in a vehicle? Maybe it's meant for collecting eggs in the wild? As a temporary transport container?

Yes one of its purposes is for transportation. TBH I don't see a need for it. Most reptiles would do fine with cooler temps for a few hours or even a day or two. Unless you got very sensitive animals.

I have never seen/heard of this. But why is it pictured in a vehicle? Maybe it's meant for collecting eggs in the wild? As a temporary transport container?
Lol, you hi jacked my questions! No, this has NOTHING to do with transporting, that is irrelevant. Action Jackson is on the right track. Is there really nothing out there that is better but still under $250? :( Doesn't the exo terra at least beat using a wine fridge lol?

Exo Terra's suck. Many fail and the replacements do also. You will have a hard time finding a quality incubator for $250. If to need a quality incubator that heats and cools look into DVM Exotics.
Eco terra released a newer model of their incubator said to be better and all the problems were fixed (so they said). Have you tried the new ones?

It depends when it was released. I have two of them and I believe they were the improved model when I got them. One is still working and the other one freaked out and rapidly lowered the temps. Tylene (Ponders on CF) can tell you how bad the "new" ones are she's been through a few of them.

I've been through two Exo-Terras. The temps started to fluctuate. I bought the second Exo-Terra because I needed one immediately since the first one was failing.

I then bought the ARTI (Ambient Room Temperature Incubator) Avey Inc.
https://www.precisionincubators.com/reptile-egg-incubator/ambient-room-temperature-incubator/

That one is not holding it's temps.

My next is the DVM Exotics incubator with all the buttons and bows. Something failed with the first one and they promptly replaced it except FedEx broke the replacement. So, my third one gets shipped Monday. I used the first one for three weeks and LOVED it.

Eco terra released a newer model of their incubator said to be better and all the problems were fixed (so they said). Have you tried the new ones?
I'll give them a shot then! I have not yet tried it so I will.
Also thanks Janet! I would love to try those nicer incubators but I can't blow that kind of money yet. Maybe in the near future.

Exo Terra's suck. Many fail and the replacements do also.

It depends when it was released. I have two of them and I believe they were the improved model when I got them. One is still working and the other one freaked out and rapidly lowered the temps. Tylene (Ponders on CF) can tell you how bad the "new" ones are she's been through a few of them.
I am quickly loosing my faith in Exo Terra's products! I used to feel like they were one of the better brands, but it seems the consensus is that anything electronic they make sucks! I do still like their cages, though. (Not necessarily for my chams) They seem to be well built and sturdy.

Last thing does anyone know it there is a difference in the models by name? Like is there a way to tell which one I am buying? Old vs the new version? This is the name of the one I was about to buy, does anyone know if its the old or newer model?
Exo Terra PT2445 Reptile Egg Incubator

Hi, I didn't mean to say a different model. They just upgraded the one that they have. So any incubator they sell is the "newer" one. As long as you're buy it new.

Thanks! Ima get one! Just cause i;'m not ready for a over $250 commitment

Here are some tips to try to get it to last longer....

It's temperature is regulated by the ambient room temperature, so keep it in a room/area that stays as close to the temperature you want and doesn't fluctuate. I doubt it will be able to be more than 10F above or below the ambient room temperature. The closer you can keep it to the ambient temperature the less stress on the unit. You don't want it turning off and on a lot.

Use something like an Acurite remote thermometer inside the unit so you know what the temperature really is. Their display has no connection to reality.

It works best if it is full. An empty incubator has a lot of trouble keeping the temps constant. Every time you open the door, you dump all the air out.

Mine last at most a year.

Back
Top Bottom