is something wrong with Treeko the veiled Cham ?

martinlemus

my ( about 4 month old ) veiled chameleon seems to love basking ! every morning I see him , when I turn on the light he goes straight up , and when I come back from school ( bout 8 hrs later ) he is still up there ?!?! should I be worried ?

Can you fill this out and post pictures we can then better help you with everything thanks
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

You may just be catching him during the times he is basking but they can bask for awhile and longer if the temps arnt kept correctly
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham, male , around 4 months old . only been in care for around 2 months
  • Handling - Every other day
  • Feeding - crickets , 5-10 a day , and also wax worms and mealworms every 3 days . gut load with " orange cubes " and spinach
  • Supplements - Calcium with out D3 , daily
  • Watering - i have a dropper that goes on all day , and I spray the cage 2-3x a day
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown color
  • History - N/A

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen cage , and standard ? medium ?
  • Lighting - day uv bulb and standard heat bulb , 8 hrs uv and 12-15 heat
  • Temperature - Ave temp 80' basking goes from 85-90 and low is around 70
  • Humidity - humidity level 70-80
  • Plants - Using " zebra plant "
  • Placement - Cage located in my room , around 2 1/2 from ground
  • Location - Houston Tx

Current Problem - What's wrong w Treeko?

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham, male , around 4 months old . only been in care for around 2 months
  • Handling - Every other day
  • Feeding - crickets , 5-10 a day , and also wax worms and mealworms every 3 days . gut load with " orange cubes " and spinach
  • Supplements - Calcium with out D3 , daily
  • Watering - i have a dropper that goes on all day , and I spray the cage 2-3x a day
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown color
  • History - N/A
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage , and standard ? medium ?
  • Lighting - day uv bulb and standard heat bulb , 8 hrs uv and 12-15 heat
  • Temperature - Ave temp 80' basking goes from 85-90 and low is around 70
  • Humidity - humidity level 70-80
  • Plants - Using " zebra plant "
  • Placement - Cage located in my room , around 2 1/2 from ground
  • Location - Houston Tx

Current Problem - What's wrong w Treeko?
Hi, most of your husbandry ect seems fine.

I wouldn't recommend gut loading with spinach it isn't as beneficial as you'd think for cham, try Kale or sweet pot etc.

With your supplementing you will need to get calcium with d3 and multi vitamins, they should be used every two weeks.

I keep both UV and heat basking lights of for the same amount of time and when it gets to winter I match outside light hours as strangely they know it winter!

I also would suggest your basking temp to remain consistent, but perhaps 90 degrees is a bit high for your little guy at the moment anything in between 75-85 should be fine maybe when he's bigger you can push it up to 90 but even then 90 degrees consistently would be too high for a veiled.

Humidity again 80 maybe be pushing it a little i'd suggest that level when shedding, I range in between 55-70.

------ And the answer to your question.. Treeko is completely normal! Chameleons don't tend to move much you will find they will move around after long periods of basking your probably just catching him when he wants to warm up for the day and before he goes to bed! :)

Back
Top Bottom