Is something wrong with my chamelon

OK for basking can I use a regular house bulb like 40 watt I dont want to burn him or her? cause I dont think they gave me that to be honest just the uvb I turned on a regular house bulb and he went straight for it and on the branch . and I saw him drink but he didnt drink like I expected him to drink he slirrped it off the floor didnt use the tongue of his to catch a drop but im not complaing its good to know its drinking.

Yes a household lamp will work. Just make sure it isn't a A 40w lamp might be warm enough. If this is a flapneck, sorry I am unsure of the basking temp needed. Buy a temp meter and put a probe on the basking perch. monitor the temp the lamp is providing for a few minutes. Once the temp is stable maybe try another higher wattage lamp to see what kind of temp you will get. Once you find out the required basking temp for your chameleon you will know what wattage lamp to use.

What kind of UVB lamp did they sell you?

Im in Southern California
Howdy,

Hopefully you are close enough to the LA area that you'll be able to make it to one of our South Bay Chameleon Keepers (SBCK) meetings held on the last Tuesday night of the month :). Stay tuned for a post next weekend or send a short request to be added to the [email protected] mailer. It's free and there are usually great deals on feeders etc. :).

I recommend that you put sand and peat moss in the corner of the cage if it is a girl. You can indicate gender by checking the chameleons' back foot. If it is a boy, it has a small bump. A girl has no bump. For my chameleon I do not use substrate. I use a type of "carpet" made by ZooMed. It is washable and reusable. Make sure its temp. is in the right zones. I personnally give my chameleons 4 crickets and 2 wax worms a day.

I recommend that you put sand and peat moss in the corner of the cage if it is a girl. You can indicate gender by checking the chameleons' back foot. If it is a boy, it has a small bump. A girl has no bump. For my chameleon I do not use substrate. I use a type of "carpet" made by ZooMed. It is washable and reusable. Make sure its temp. is in the right zones. I personnally give my chameleons 4 crickets and 2 wax worms a day.

The sexing method you mentioned work for veiled chameleon.
He has a flap-necked chameleon.
So, the spur thing will not worked.

I do agree with Dave.
If I have to guess from that photo, I would say female as well.

Some subspecies of flaps do have spurs and others don't...so looking at the base of the tail is the best option.

Umm my chameleon just coughed a few times is that something I should worry about? its the first time right now he did that, like 3 of them.

Did you provide a place for eggs to be laid in case its a female?
If you post a picture of the chameleon from the side so that the base of the tail is showing clearly we might be able to tell you if its a female.

Did you find out the basking temperature?

I dont plan on breeding my chameleon but I keep the tempature 75 to 80 degrees F. so Is it unusual if it coughs or am I just to worried.

If its a female, she might already be gravid/pregnant and if you don't provide her with a place to lay the eggs she can die eggbound.

Are there any physical features to tell if its pregnant? If she is how would I go about building a egg nest for her?

To provide an egg laying container all you need is a small waste basket filled with damp playsand. It should be damp enough that when you squeeze a handful you can make a ball but it does not drip water at all. She will dig to the bottom of it (for some reason they usually do) then maybe dig a hollow spot at the bottom to deposit eggs. Please take a picture of your cham clearly showing the tail region so we can see if it is a female or male. A good picture will also help ascertain if she is pregnant.

An added comment about your cage is this, chams like to climb branches and that big chunk of wood on the bottom will grow mold. A plant and some artificial branches work great. You can get a 6 ft. vine at the pet store (hopefully). Make sure your basking light isn't making your chams basking spot hotter then about 90. I have females and like to keep their temps cooler to prevent them from laying gobs of eggs. A female will lay eggs even when not fertilized. If you see your cham on a branch with its mouth open just sitting under the lamp then it is too warm. They don't have enough sense to move and can over heat. If I see that happening I turn off my basking light and mist the cage well to help them cool down.

Lots of things to know, but chameleons are great once you have the facts.

there looks to be a spur, i'm not sure about flapnecks but i know that makes a veiled chameleon a male

New Flapneck

I am getting a new flapneck male and am looking for all info. I have the uvb ligh the ceramic heat bulb, the dripper, misting bottle, the cage now is a 10 gallon glass/with screen lid, but will have large screen cage built in 2 weeks- Can I use black fabric window screen material? The cage wil be 30w 36h 15d.
Should the ceramic heat buld be on 24/7? I will also be getting calcium w/d and wo/d3. Anything else I need to know?
Thanks
August

10 gal will def not work and esp CAN NOT be glass....as for flap necks i own veileds so cant help ya there but good luck , before u buy cham get the husbandry correct so u dnt damage the animal thanks ... keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom