Is sleepwalking normal?

Bekkageary

My chameleon got defensive yesterday, but today he was better and even let me touch his chin. I turn my lights off and nightlight on at 6:00p.m. and my Cham just started sleepwalking. He is walking around the leaves with his eyes closed and looks like he is trying to get out of the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 149
Now that's something I have never heard of. :cautious: It it wasn't so potentially dangerous (he could fall from a branch and injure himself etc.) it actually sounds rather cute. The picture is adorable, but as it's probably not normal, lets hope you get it figured out.

My chameleon got defensive yesterday, but today he was better and even let me touch his chin. I turn my lights off and nightlight on at 6:00p.m. and my Cham just started sleepwalking. He is walking around the leaves with his eyes closed and looks like he is trying to get out of the glass.
I read you turn your lights off at 6 pm and turn on your night light! Turn off all your lights and he'll sleep! No night light!

I read you turn your lights off at 6 pm and turn on your night light! Turn off all your lights and he'll sleep! No night light!

I'm interested on if this works. It's somewhat common knowledge (on the forum anyways, except for new owners maybe) that Chams have a residual 3rd eye and no night light should be used, even red or blue. The OP's original image does show background light, but nothing directly in the enclosure.

Don't they have moon light in the wild? I'm betting there is from time to some moon light, so I'm guess like most other animals, some back ground light should be "OK" at night. The Chams I have have always been in between my kitchen and TV room. Even after lights out, there were still some light in the background. I never had an issue with the TV or a small kitchen light over the sink in the night time. My new Cham sleeps like a baby every night, regardless of background lights of the TV or kitchen. Maybe my lights are just below a threshold that bother Chams or maybe your cham has a higher sensitivity.o_O

In my opinion,any type of light during the night will probably disturb and awake the chameleons.I had use a tiny flash light and shine on the chams face when they sleeping,most of the time it will cause their eyes to open unless they are in their deep sleep and I did find that on my experiment . I will always make sure their environment are completely dark so they will get a goodnight rest for their health reason.

Don't they have moon light in the wild? I'm betting there is from time to some moon light, so I'm guess like most other animals, some back ground light should be "OK" at night. The Chams I have have always been in between my kitchen and TV room. Even after lights out, there were still some light in the background. I never had an issue with the TV or a small kitchen light over the sink in the night time. My new Cham sleeps like a baby every night, regardless of background lights of the TV or kitchen. Maybe my lights are just below a threshold that bother Chams or maybe your cham has a higher sensitivity.
I would guess that in the wild they would take cover so that there is heavy plant growth above and below them so that no predatory birds can see them if they are at the top and they are also covered from arboreal predators below. Therefore with the cover above the moon shouldn't shine on them very long and it isn't very bright so they can sleep through it. Most of the time chameleons will sleep through mild amounts of light being on them. It would generally take a long exposure to bright light to wake them up(like the sunrise). THIS IS JUST MY GUESS WITH NO SCIENTIFIC DATA

I would guess that in the wild they would take cover so that there is heavy plant growth above and below them so that no predatory birds can see them if they are at the top and they are also covered from arboreal predators below. Therefore with the cover above the moon shouldn't shine on them very long and it isn't very bright so they can sleep through it. Most of the time chameleons will sleep through mild amounts of light being on them. It would generally take a long exposure to bright light to wake them up(like the sunrise). THIS IS JUST MY GUESS WITH NO SCIENTIFIC DATA

That's what I meant, ambient or indirect light. A night light in my kitchen or the light from the refrigerator water dispenser or the light that seeps thru from the TV in the other room etc... My Cham sleeps thru it all. In the wild, they may hide under leaves and stuff, but the ambient lighting is still present. I doubts its completely dark 100% of the time.

Back
Top Bottom