Is she gravid?

Kylarben92

she is about 5 or 6 months old. And I have everything set up ready for her. The lay bin is ready and at the bottom. But she hasn't been using it. And didn't want to eat today. How long does it take her to actually use the lay bin?

Attachments

• 20200811_143925.jpg
    20200811_143925.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 66
  • 20200811_143919.jpg
    20200811_143919.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 69
I'm just anxiously waiting her first lay lol. I just watch her and wish she would just do it lol
Well if she is actually 5-6 months old that is a bit young from what I have seen... Seems its more common between 6-9 months. But if feeding amounts and temps are correct for her then she may not lay. Some have been known to either lay once a year or not at all if they are given the appropriate feeder amounts and temps.

Id say receptive,
And I also cant really give a timeline. Like @Beman said, she may not lay at all given proper food and temps.
Sometimes my girl gets all prettied up, and stays that way for a couple months.

When you think she's ready I've heard putting a nice cover over the cage could be a good idea during the day. It helps give her some privacy since they won't dig a lot if they feel like they're being watched.

Has she had a period of being prettied up and very restless yet? The restlessness is usually the best determining factor of being receptive. It can last a week or longer. My girls’ colors change very subtly when gravid and about to lay. Usually their dots are more pronounced when gravid and you can see the little egg lumps at her back end. Just keep the lay bin ready and once you see she’s started to dig, cover the visible sides so she can’t see you. I have little peek holes so I can monitor how she’s doing. Laying takes about a good day or two and she may dig several test holes. When she’s all done she’ll be back in her basking spot, dirty and much thinner. Hydrate and feed her well.

she looks receptive, but no one can be sure. Have you seen her digging or moping around the bottom of her cage recently? If yes, then cut back on handling and cover up the sides for privacy.

What were her cage temps and how much were you feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom