Is Safe to feed my chameleon only meal worms/ how do I keep crickets alive?

NEVER use the one without D3
I have to agree with @Syreptyon on this one. You do not want to endanger someone's pet, that would be sad if something happened because of false information. It's nothing to worry about, and you can learn from this experience. It has happened to a few of us before, and we become better chameleon owners and advisers as we gather experience and knowledge. I know that I learn something new about chameleons and their husbandry every day ;):)

To answer your original question, a big locking handle tub al Walmart is under $10. Use that. You can get free "egg crates" from a coffee shop or donut shop- they are better than egg crates.
You need to treat the bugs like pets too- feed them, keep them the right temp and hydrated.

Not sure about your setup, didn't have time to read the whole thread but I am in for close to $1000 and an adult veiled or panther I just don't see a way around the cost of a big cage with a lot of equipment like UV lights and misters.

Have you thought about what to do when you go on vacation? Something like a bearded dragon or gecko could have some food left in it whereas you can't really leave crickets in with the cham, the crickets will bite him.

Just some things to think about before you get too attached. If you can't give him what he needs then reconsider- on the other hand if you got him from Petco then you are probably doing 10X what they would do and he's better off taking his chances with you.
Not being mean, just realistic. I was an awesome pet keeper at 13 but I knew I couldn't do a reef aquarium though I desperately wanted one.

@Franquixote as we previously taliked about in this thread miss information can be very hurtful when taken by new keepers. So I just wanted to take a moment to correct some information you gave in the above thread.

You said: "Have you thought about what to do when you go on vacation? Something like a bearded dragon or gecko could have some food left in it whereas you can't really leave crickets in with the cham, the crickets will bite him."

All reptiles are work! You can't just throw a bunch of feeders into ANY reptile cage and go on vacation! There are so many things any reptile needs to survive, and their are so many different requirements depending on species! They count on their humans to provide these things. Even though a reptile may not be a chameleon it will still have things to worry about. What if the heat bulb goes out? Is a bearded dragon just going to spend a week walking around in poop? What about fresh gecko diet? Who is going to mix and feed that?

If you want something you can put out food and water for and leave on vacation a reptile is probably not for you... Get a cat

So it's my first time owning a chameleon. I recently discovered she is female. She is a juvenile 5 month old veiled chameleon. Whenever I buy her crickets, most of them die in a matter of 1 week. I have a lot of egg cartons in the cage I keep them in to keep them off themselves because they will eat each other. I gut feed them and my chameleon LOVES crickets and will immediately eat when I feed her. I just recently bought meal worms as well and she loves those a lot as much as crickets so that's amazing! But the problem is that the crickets die so quickly and she does not like to eat dead crickets (she only eats if the cricket is moving). The meal worms are easy to keep alive but the crickets, not so much. So now I have two questions, how do I keep my crickets alive and is it possible to only feed her meal worms?
Sorry for the long thread.
i have a small cage for them and keep them next to my 6'X3'X3' enclosure and just toss some of that gel kricket food in with them every couple days or till its gone. i buy them by the 100ct and only have maybe 5 to 10 die by the end.

i have a small cage for them and keep them next to my 6'X3'X3' enclosure and just toss some of that gel kricket food in with them every couple days or till its gone. i buy them by the 100ct and only have maybe 5 to 10 die by the end.

Please do not tell people things like that! It is misleading information at best! & down-right dangerous. This is not proper care for the crickets so also not good care for your chameleon!

I disagree that it's an issue to leave a crested gecko or bearded dragon for a few days on their own. Or a ball python. Your concerns about heat are not warranted for any of those 3 species- they will all do just fine at 70 degrees for a few days.
There are at least a hundred more species that I'd be comfortable doing the same with.
Notice that I said a chameleon wasn't one of them.

Back
Top Bottom