Is my Veiled gravid?

The best thing to do for her at the moment as far as laying (your mixture sounds fine at the moment) is to start maybe two or three starter holes. It'll make digging for her easier.

Thanks I'll do that, here are some more pictures I took during medication time.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 68
I don't refrigerate them (and if you do, do it in the warmest part of your refrigerator) just because I also feed off the flies.

She looks really chunky... is she acting really off other than the no eating? Does she still have "ok" energy compared to usual? I am worried she may be getting close to eggbound and she might need a shot to help her lay (though if she's acting ok other than the eating I wouldn't jump to it anytime soon).... Her eyes may just be a sign of being dehydrated... do you have an auto mister? How are you offering water otherwise? (can't remember if you answered this forgive yesterday I was a bit off with memory and such) But she does still look rather swollen in some areas but that could just be due to poor care from where she came from etc.

I'm not really sure about how she's acting because she's my first chameleon and I haven't had her even 2 weeks yet so I'm just not sure, the vet said that since the eggs were still round and not real ovular yet that she believed it was a sign she wasn't quite ready to lay. I've been spraying thouroughly like completely soaking the cage every few hours, I do have an auto mister but I'm having a really hard time affixing the nozzles to the screen they just keep falling off or moving and spraying the wrong direction. I did just put the cantina drinking fountain in on Thursday but I haven't seen her drink from it yet, every time I give her the calcium I'll clean out the syringe with a little bit of water and give her that as well(that way she gets the residual calcium as well as some water)

It's the zoomed reptirain, the tubing comes out of the top and then tees to two more pieces of tubing which attach to the nozzles, so it's just loose tubing with nozzles on the end. I couldn't find a good way to attach so it doesn't move around. I haven't give up yet I'm just still trying to figure it out

How do you store your BSFLs? Refrigerate or no?
you can refrigerate butterworms (also a great option), but I didn't have success with the BSFL's. I keep their substrate moist (not wet), I cut up an apple/carrot into slices and put it in their plastic cup to help keep things moist (they eat it, too) and I keep them in a cool, dark place - currently my pantry. When they turn black, but still moving, I feed them off. When they are black/dead looking, they will soon pupate into a pretty badass looking fly. O and the beardies LOVE the flies, so WIN-WIN on the BSFL's :)

It's the zoomed reptirain, the tubing comes out of the top and then tees to two more pieces of tubing which attach to the nozzles, so it's just loose tubing with nozzles on the end. I couldn't find a good way to attach so it doesn't move around. I haven't give up yet I'm just still trying to figure it out

could you do something like this? ziptie it on the inside?

20170423_185809.jpg

Attachments

• 20170423_185820.jpg
    20170423_185820.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 53
When I had a reptirain I didn't use the tubing that came with it and just used the nozzle that was directly connected to the misting system. (not sure if it's changed now) but have you cut a small hole in the screening already? I found that is the best way to use tubing honestly. Make sure it fits relatively snug against the tube.

I just checked on her and she ate 12 of the 15 BSFL I put in for her, unless they crawled out into her lay bin but I don't think they could've gotten out of the bowl I had them in? I put a water bottle cap in the bowl for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 90
Apparently they can escape I witnessed some get out I thought since the mealworms couldn't get out that they wouldn't be able to either so I don't know if she ate any or not, I cut two holes in the top and fixed my nozzles to the screen and as soon as the mister turned on it started leaking everywhere so I had to take it back off but I am handmisting a ton and the drinking fountain is in there so I hope that'll be enough for now. I got the mister used because I don't have the money for a new one so I'm going to try and fix that now.

Did it leak out of the cage? You need drainage with chameleons. And yes, especially in moist enviroments, BSFL can crawl out. Is she aware that the cup exists? like she's eaten out of it before?

I totally want to laugh, but I won't. You totally sound like me 3 months ago. First the misting, then the drainage, then the overspray, then the feeders not cooperating, then.... it seems like it will never, ever end. I enjoyed the challenge - I enjoyed seeing O respond and - oh happy day - when I got her poop reflecting that she was properly hydrated!

Yes, the BSFL's are crafty and stronger than they appear. They will crawl out of that bowl no problem. Search the forum for feeder cups - there are some great ideas. I use this one and have had zero problems with (most) feeders getting out. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N64KV1E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Did it leak out of the cage? You need drainage with chameleons. And yes, especially in moist enviroments, BSFL can crawl out. Is she aware that the cup exists? like she's eaten out of it before?
Yes, she has eaten out of it before, and it was definitely the mister that was leaking, I don't have drainage yet because I'm picking up a new enclosure Monday and I was going to set up the drainage when I set the new enclosure up, basically her current enclosure is temporary and practice for me so I get the new one right.

I totally want to laugh, but I won't. You totally sound like me 3 months ago. First the misting, then the drainage, then the overspray, then the feeders not cooperating, then.... it seems like it will never, ever end. I enjoyed the challenge - I enjoyed seeing O respond and - oh happy day - when I got her poop reflecting that she was properly hydrated!

Yes, the BSFL's are crafty and stronger than they appear. They will crawl out of that bowl no problem. Search the forum for feeder cups - there are some great ideas. I use this one and have had zero problems with (most) feeders getting out.

Yeah it's like a nightmare I just want her to get better and I don't know enough about everything or if she should be eating right now because of being gravid. I just feel so helpless about the whole thing. It infuriates me that someone let her get like this to begin with.

Yeah it's like a nightmare I just want her to get better and I don't know enough about everything or if she should be eating right now because of being gravid. I just feel so helpless about the whole thing. It infuriates me that someone let her get like this to begin with.

You're doing great and keep making changes as you learn. I'm sorry she is struggling and I hope that all goes well with her laying. The most frustrating part for me has been the "when will she lay her eggs??". I just don't know. There has been many, many hours stressing about this. O is in a different stage as far as her health goes. But they looks similar in size - and they are both gravid. I thought it happened quicker and have been very anxious to help her in every way. But (and this is where my advice isn't really helpful), i was advised to not stress, let her do her thing and she will show interest in the laybin when she's ready. She hasn't really gotten any bigger (as I would expect her to), is extremely active (she wants to be free range) and eats like a piggie (expecting her to slow her eating when she gets closer). She looks a little eggy, but not like a bag of marbles. So I just went about business as usual, letting her tell me. And I still don't have any clearn "signs". All this to say, if the vet felt she has time, then put your energies into her health and drainage with the new cage set up. Of course, @Andee has got you covered and has been so helpful to me, too. :love::love:

So since you are hand misting (set a timer honestly it is the only way you will know for sure you got the time you needed) do a minimum of misting for 4 minutes right now (later on you can reduce to 2-3) and then have one in the middle of the day if you can that is around 6-8 minutes. Use warm water (so that when you mist it comes out warm at wherever you are misting the farther away you get the cooler it will be) I usually use hot water and sometimes cool it with cooler water if needed. Fiddle with the misting settings if you can with your hand mister, she may respond better to the super fine mist or the thicker drop-like mists. Veileds can take a while to stimulate to drink. She would likely only need about 4 mistings in a 12 hour day this way.

Just an update on Otis, I changed her name to Odess but keeping Otis for short haha.
I took her to the vet today and although she hasn't eaten hardly anything in the past two and a half weeks she's only lost 2 grams, 106 to 104. So the vet said to weigh her every other day and as long as she's not losing weight then I'm not supposed to worry about her not eating. She also said that at this stage egg reabsorbtion is possible and that could be what's happening.
I was really worried because she doesn't eat or drink much but she got the OK from the vet so that's a good thing.

She got some subcutaneous fluids (just a bit) today and She'll continue .4ml of calcium every 12 hours and a checkup with radiograph in 3 weeks.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thanks for the update. I'm still in limbo with my girl. Did your vet give you calcium drops for her? I meant to ask my vet about getting some, but forgot. I wonder if they can be purchased outside of a vet...

Back
Top Bottom