Is my Veiled Cham too small?

gstavocham

Hi, I'm new to the site and this is my chameleon, Gustavo. I've had him for about a year, and he was about 2 months old when I got him. I've always been very worried about his size, but his vet always told me that my husbandry was perfect and he was healthy, so he is probably just a smaller cham. I still get really worried though and wonder if I've done something to make him smaller? He feeds primarily on crickets, with occasional superworms (his favorite) and collard greens (hates them). His calcium/vitamin is the Repashy Calcium Plus, he is in a 2x2x4 enclosure, he has a 50w UVB that I replace every 6 months, I spray every 2-3 hours and his urates have never been orange, and he has a pretty good appetite. I got him from a local reptile store that gets all their reptiles from specialized private breeders. Is he too small? And if so, what could I have done differently to have prevented this?

Attachments

• Gustavo.jpg
    Gustavo.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Gustavo2.jpg
    Gustavo2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 101
first off, he is adorable and I love the name!

second, do you have a uvb light? and also is there d3 in the calcium supplement?

can we also see pictures of his cage?

Hi, I'm new to the site and this is my chameleon, Gustavo. I've had him for about a year, and he was about 2 months old when I got him. I've always been very worried about his size, but his vet always told me that my husbandry was perfect and he was healthy, so he is probably just a smaller cham. I still get really worried though and wonder if I've done something to make him smaller? He feeds primarily on crickets, with occasional superworms (his favorite) and collard greens (hates them). His calcium/vitamin is the Repashy Calcium Plus, he is in a 2x2x4 enclosure, he has a 50w UVB that I replace every 6 months, I spray every 2-3 hours and his urates have never been orange, and he has a pretty good appetite. I got him from a local reptile store that gets all their reptiles from specialized private breeders. Is he too small? And if so, what could I have done differently to have prevented this?
how old is he?

first off, he is adorable and I love the name!

second, do you have a uvb light? and also is there d3 in the calcium supplement?

can we also see pictures of his cage?
Thank you! And yes, I have a UVB bar light and a basking lamp. There is d3 in the supplement and I've made sure to monitor the phosphorous/d3 balance closely. Here is his cage.

Attachments

• Gustavo Cage.jpg
    Gustavo Cage.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 104
So you are going to want to remove all the fake plants with real ones(if he eats part of the fake plant he could die)

is the uvb light a t5?

are you using the calcium supplement with d3 every day?

You should fill this out to double check all your husbandry

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

In answer to your question. His size should not be affected by feeding and care. Health is, life quality, but not so much in size.

Past that he looks good. Follow what other tell you to improve his overall health. Hi size Is fine

So you are going to want to remove all the fake plants with real ones(if he eats part of the fake plant he could die)

is the uvb light a t5?

are you using the calcium supplement with d3 every day?
The d3 isn’t used every day, the uvb is a t5, and I had real plants until a month or 2 ago because they kept dying and he wasn’t eating them anyways. The plants are too thick for him to eat, I could barely them with scissors. I do plan on trying live plants again in the next month or so after doing more research as to why they died last time.

The d3 isn’t used every day, the uvb is a t5, and I had real plants until a month or 2 ago because they kept dying and he wasn’t eating them anyways. The plants are too thick for him to eat, I could barely them with scissors. I do plan on trying live plants again in the next month or so after doing more research as to why they died last time.
You might need a grow light for the plants . What did they look like were the leaves turning yellow and dropping or turning brown?

The Repashy Calcium Plus has way too much D3. You need to use a quality phosphorus-free calcium without D3 every feeding and the Repashy Calcium Plus (or use the Repashy Calcium Plus LoD) once every two weeks. What type, brand, and strength of UVB bulb do you have? What type of fixture is it in, how old is the bulb, and what is the distance between it and his basking branch?

Back
Top Bottom