Is my panther chameleon colours healthy

heatherdh

Hi, I've recently got my panther chameleon about 8 months ago, when i first got him he was almost a year, he was quite pale and only have very subtle hints of colour on him. Although if it makes any difference he shed about 3 days after we got him. But he started to develop his colours later an started to turn green with red marks here and there and his natural colours. Now I've heard that they loose there colours annually then get them back again, i heard it was something to do with breading, or if there relaxed they become paler, but i dont think its the case, anyway. I just wanted to ask if it was true, if not this is how he lives.

Feeding:
now generally i give him locusts, dusted in Nutrobal, which has all the supplements he needs every 2nd day i feed him.
i give him wax worms once a week since he reacts well with them and monitor his body weight ( he looks healthy to me)

Cage:
his cage is 57.5x49x91.5cm and fulled with plants and bamboo sticks for him to climb.
temperature is 84 F and i turn it down to 80 at night time,
he gets 13-14 hrs of sleep and is well rested.
his humidity is in between 70-85 ish daily.

i take him out regularly when he is in the mood, although i don't when he is about to shed, since he just looks me up and down then puffs up, honestly a lot of attitude from him, but i mean that one of the reasons i love him. Now im not sure if he needs different supplements, different foods or anything else but please let me know ill attach photos of him bellow. I don't mind if he is naturally this colour its just been something that ive wondered about.

Picture5.png

this was him february 23rd getting his colours
Picture3.png
Picture7.png

this was him April 2nd and april 10th
Picture2.png

this was him march 29th
Picture6.png
9.png

and this is him now, and yes they are all the same chameleon you can tell by the yellow on his mouth, please if someone can tell me why that would be much appreciated.

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum.
Hi, I've recently got my panther chameleon about 8 months ago, when i first got him he was almost a year, he was quite pale and only have very subtle hints of colour on him. Although if it makes any difference he shed about 3 days after we got him.
Not really. If anything, shedding may bring out colors a little more.

But he started to develop his colours later an started to turn green with red marks here and there and his natural colours.
20 months is quite late for showing colors; many start as early as 3 months, but better late than never. Is it possible he was younger than a year when you got him?

Now I've heard that they loose there colours annually then get them back again, i heard it was something to do with breading, or if there relaxed they become paler, but i dont think its the case, anyway. I just wanted to ask if it was true, if not this is how he lives.
Different colors do have different meanings, but we really only know the meanings of a few.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+do+chameleon+colors+mean?

There have been some threads about colors fading. I don't recall it being an annual thing, but exposure to natural sunlight (not through a window) or slightly stronger UVB has brought the vibrant colors back.

Feeding:
now generally i give him locusts, dusted in Nutrobal, which has all the supplements he needs every 2nd day i feed him.
I'm not familiar with Nutrobal, but it may be too much too often. Most of us give calcium without D3 or phosphorus daily except
Calcium with D3​
Multivitamins​
Each twice monthly, alternating weeks.

i give him wax worms once a week since he reacts well with them and monitor his body weight ( he looks healthy to me)
FWIW, here are some other options:
1637506622165.png

and some nutritional data on various feeder insects.
1637506733368.png

Cage:
his cage is 57.5x49x91.5cm and fulled with plants and bamboo sticks for him to climb.
temperature is 84 F and i turn it down to 80 at night time,
he gets 13-14 hrs of sleep and is well rested.
his humidity is in between 70-85 ish daily.
Enclosure is a little on the small side. Minimum recommended size is 60cm x 60cm x 120cm.
Temp is on the high side; basking temperature should be low 80sF, but the rest of the enclosure can/should have a gradient around room temperature, and can go down into the 60s at night. It's usually better if there is some drop between day & night. Even down into the 50s isn't bad.
Most sources recommend lights on a 12/12 on/off schedule (12 hrs. sleep)
That humidity level is great for nighttime (y) but a little high for daytime (target 50-60%)

You can get particulars from this care sheet:
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Lighting?

i take him out regularly when he is in the mood, although i don't when he is about to shed, since he just looks me up and down then puffs up, honestly a lot of attitude from him, but i mean that one of the reasons i love him.
(y) IDK what "regularly" means. Best to take the lead from him. If he comes to you, great; if not, I'd let him alone. Mine (Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants) has the same kind of attitude. Ain't it cool? 😁

Now im not sure if he needs different supplements, different foods or anything else but please let me know ill attach photos of him bellow. I don't mind if he is naturally this colour its just been something that ive wondered about.
Answered above. His pale coloration may have to do with lighting, supplementation, or other husbandry issues, and I'm sure others will weigh-in soon. Any questions, ask away.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

You said..."Now I've heard that they loose there colours annually then get them back again, i heard it was something to do with breading, or if there relaxed they become paler, but i dont think its the case, anyway. I just wanted to ask if it was true, if not this is how he lives"...the colors don't change annually but colors change for various reasons.
Colors may darken when the chameleon is cold and trying to bask to warm up...once it's warm the colors will lighten again. Along with their posture, they will also change to show aggression, desire to mate...and the females also show they are receptive (inviting the males to mate in a way)...and gravid/pregnant (warning the males to stay away) by their colors.

Nutrobal....locusts....does this mean you're in England?

I know nitro all has enough calcium in it...and that it has vitamin D3 and vitamin A and more...but I don't know how much D3 or what form of vitamin A...so I can't be sure it's ok. Use all the time.
What we recommend is that the insects be dusted just before feeding them to the chameleon at all feedings a week but one with a PHOS free calcium powder lightly. On the remaining feeding each week...alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 but with a prEformed source of vitamin A...both lightly.

What UVB light do you use...please be specific. Is it a long tube or a compact or what? No lights on at night at all...right?

Bamboo can be slippery for them...it might be better to use tree branches with bark on them...nontoxic of course.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! :) I don’t know if it’s an annual/seasonal thing or really much about it. I got my panther last year as an adult with some health issues from improper supplements and uvb. A few months later his colors started fading until he was all washed out. He had been to a vet prior to losing color and later when I had opportunity, I asked the vet if I should bring him back for this. He told me to wait. I anxiously did, and sure enough his color came back. I searched the forum and found a few mentions by a member who is a vet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panthers-mid-life-crisis-color-change.76455/ https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-chameleon-color-loss.120142/#post-1063559
Looking back at pics, it started in mid January and started to resolve around May. Make sure all of your care is correct and if in doubt, a vet visit is always a good idea. Here’s pics of my guy’s transformation.
Nov at the vet
58366AF8-AF2A-40B5-AEE3-3DD72DF6EF0B.jpeg
Feb
181E58B3-02D9-406F-8E37-0BA481BF8FBA.jpeg

At it’s peak in April. Looks like a ghost.

07C876F7-354A-4668-8D00-1674A97B27A0.jpeg
May - color returning
CFEA6530-AC7B-4EBB-AE54-2490597F93C5.jpeg
Now
AF93E146-F2AF-461F-B0DD-8EBC1BF9EBBF.jpeg

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum.

Not really. If anything, shedding may bring out colors a little more.

20 months is quite late for showing colors; many start as early as 3 months, but better late than never. Is it possible he was younger than a year when you got him?

Different colors do have different meanings, but we really only know the meanings of a few.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=what+do+chameleon+colors+mean?

There have been some threads about colors fading. I don't recall it being an annual thing, but exposure to natural sunlight (not through a window) or slightly stronger UVB has brought the vibrant colors back.

I'm not familiar with Nutrobal, but it may be too much too often. Most of us give calcium without D3 or phosphorus daily except
Calcium with D3​
Multivitamins​
Each twice monthly, alternating weeks.

FWIW, here are some other options:
View attachment 315255

and some nutritional data on various feeder insects.
View attachment 315256

Enclosure is a little on the small side. Minimum recommended size is 60cm x 60cm x 120cm.
Temp is on the high side; basking temperature should be low 80sF, but the rest of the enclosure can/should have a gradient around room temperature, and can go down into the 60s at night. It's usually better if there is some drop between day & night. Even down into the 50s isn't bad.
Most sources recommend lights on a 12/12 on/off schedule (12 hrs. sleep)
That humidity level is great for nighttime (y) but a little high for daytime (target 50-60%)

You can get particulars from this care sheet:
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Lighting?

(y) IDK what "regularly" means. Best to take the lead from him. If he comes to you, great; if not, I'd let him alone. Mine (Ol' Mr. GrumpyPants) has the same kind of attitude. Ain't it cool? 😁

Answered above. His pale coloration may have to do with lighting, supplementation, or other husbandry issues, and I'm sure others will weigh-in soon. Any questions, ask away.
i don’t think that he was younger than a year old when i got him and if he was he was at the least 9 months.

i’ll have a look at a higher UVB light.
I also use a T8 UVB lamp 15W zone 2-6% if that helps.

I’ll get other food for him aswell thank you for the list. Maybe it’a caused by too much of the vitamins at once i’ll check. I’ll lower the heating at night see how it helps.

It’s really cool how most of them have the same attitude definitely :)

thank you for the recommendations i’ll definitely take them in thought!

Hi and welcome! :) I don’t know if it’s an annual/seasonal thing or really much about it. I got my panther last year as an adult with some health issues from improper supplements and uvb. A few months later his colors started fading until he was all washed out. He had been to a vet prior to losing color and later when I had opportunity, I asked the vet if I should bring him back for this. He told me to wait. I anxiously did, and sure enough his color came back. I searched the forum and found a few mentions by a member who is a vet. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panthers-mid-life-crisis-color-change.76455/ https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/panther-chameleon-color-loss.120142/#post-1063559
Looking back at pics, it started in mid January and started to resolve around May. Make sure all of your care is correct and if in doubt, a vet visit is always a good idea. Here’s pics of my guy’s transformation.
Nov at the vet
View attachment 315270
Feb
View attachment 315271

At it’s peak in April. Looks like a ghost.

View attachment 315272
May - color returning
View attachment 315273
Now
View attachment 315274
okay, i have been debating whether or not to call the vets or take him there, my chameleon had the same transformation as that do you know how you got him back to his former colour? thank you for the help!

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

You said..."Now I've heard that they loose there colours annually then get them back again, i heard it was something to do with breading, or if there relaxed they become paler, but i dont think its the case, anyway. I just wanted to ask if it was true, if not this is how he lives"...the colors don't change annually but colors change for various reasons.
Colors may darken when the chameleon is cold and trying to bask to warm up...once it's warm the colors will lighten again. Along with their posture, they will also change to show aggression, desire to mate...and the females also show they are receptive (inviting the males to mate in a way)...and gravid/pregnant (warning the males to stay away) by their colors.

Nutrobal....locusts....does this mean you're in England?

I know nitro all has enough calcium in it...and that it has vitamin D3 and vitamin A and more...but I don't know how much D3 or what form of vitamin A...so I can't be sure it's ok. Use all the time.
What we recommend is that the insects be dusted just before feeding them to the chameleon at all feedings a week but one with a PHOS free calcium powder lightly. On the remaining feeding each week...alternate between a PHOS free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 but with a prEformed source of vitamin A...both lightly.

What UVB light do you use...please be specific. Is it a long tube or a compact or what? No lights on at night at all...right?

Bamboo can be slippery for them...it might be better to use tree branches with bark on them...nontoxic of course.
okay thank you i use T8 UVB lamp 15 watts zone 2-6% it is in a long tube form now ive been using this type when he got his colours at the strongest point, i have changed it and it’s due another new bulb soon.
Btw i did see another case of this and their chameleon did this one winter too ,but mine was during the summer, and turned back to normal colours.
okay thanks for the concern about the bamboo, hes climbing on it all over the place and prefers it to the tree branches i’ve put in so i don’t think his balance is bad, meaning he is still healthy, but i’ll bear that in mind and put some more variations in there.
thank you for your help! i’ll keep this in mind!

okay, i have been debating whether or not to call the vets or take him there, my chameleon had the same transformation as that do you know how you got him back to his former colour? thank you for the help!
No idea what caused his color to return other than good husbandry and time. IMO whenever I have a concern about one of my animals, a vet visit is always warranted, if for no other reason than to ease my mind.

Back
Top Bottom