Is my chameleon ok he’s been dark colors lately

F9AEE7F8-2416-4D1E-91AA-35BD082612DE.jpeg

This has been really weird lately my baby chameleon I got from petsmart 2 days ago is turning weird colors he is usually lime green with no patterns my baby chameleon now is either black or dark green or dark green with black spots I’m not sure if he is cold or he has metabolic bone diasese I feed him 10 meals Worms a day. I think my baby is in good health my profile picture is before it acted like this maybe he is shedding and pissed because every time I try handeling him he gets scared and crawls away everyone is telling me to take me out to get extra vitamins I am soon gonna get a new lamp for him

raise the basking spot a little and see if he still has the colors. Also if you are handling him, this may be the reason. Stress is another reason for dark coloration.

raise the basking spot a little and see if he still has the colors. Also if you are handling him, this may be the reason. Stress is another reason for dark coloration.
Every time I try handling it it crawl away and gets as far from me as possible keep in min I just got this 2 days ago and how do I raise basking spot tempture also he’s ok right and does he look male to you

Hey buddy,

Please take what people on here are telling you seriously. I have read some of your other threads that have suggested some husbandry changes one of which included not holding your chameleon. On top of any husbandry issues that are being addressed, you're possibly stressing out your chameleon more by holding him. You got him two days ago so please let him get settled in and focus your attention on getting your husbandry down before you start adding new stressful factors in his/her life. He/she views you as a predator and he's/she's in a place that's new and scary for him/her. Leave him/her be.

Taking pictures of him/her will also stress him/her out. Some cham's don't know what cell phones are and are terrified of them. Yours is scared in the picture you took. His/her little hand up like that is a defensive position.

Also, posting multiple threads won't get you an answer quicker. Everyone on here is great about responding thoroughly and quickly. Please be patient and use that time your anxiously waiting for a response to do some research. Plus, as multiple other members have mentioned, it makes it difficult to follow along when you have multiple threads.

It will help to fill out this questionnaire so everyone can assist you quicker:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I don’t mean to come off as rude, but no one can help you until you properly fill out the help questionnaire and are able to take better photos.

Now that you said its from Petsmart I am assuming its male, as the Petco I work at only stocks males because females has more requirements such as laybins and a Petsmart/Petco environment would be too stressful for a gravid female and lead to issues. Again, simply assuming and I cannot confirm gender yet based on the pictures you posted. Additionally, Im taking experience from the Petco I work at and Petsmart is a completely different company. Its gender is up in the air.

It also appears like you didn’t do too much research before hand and that this chameleon was a rather impulsive purchase. I hope that is not the case but asking questions about colors and assuming a dark color automatically means the chameleon is sick implies otherwise to me. As of right now Im 100% sure the chameleon is dark because of stress and basking temps are too low.
As of right now, your chameleon feels extremely threatened by you. You are a predator to it and it has no clue what you are trying to do. It is also in a completely new environment and needs time to settle in.

Imagine if you were suddenly teleported into a completely new home you don’t recognize and some giant outside kept peeking in and messing with you, you would be upset as well.

Leave the chameleon alone for a week aside from misting and feeding, let it settle in. Then once the chameleon is more settled, we can discuss things such as gender when you’re able to get a better picture like the ones I used as an example.

Posting multiple threads is not going to get you an answer any faster and makes it difficult for those of us who are patiently trying to help you actually provide help. Getting bits and pieces over multiple threads is not the way to get any insight. Please correct your husbandry issues that were highlighted by other members, wait a week, then fill out the questionnaire provided with as much detail and accuracy as possible. Then we will be able to assist you futher

Now that you said its from Petsmart I am assuming its male, as the Petco I work at only stocks males because females has more requirements such as laybins and a Petsmart/Petco environment would be too stressful for a gravid female and lead to issues.
I don't know, I got Coda from PetSmart. (Bad Idea) They told me she was a boy, so for about 3-4 days Coda was Levi.

Back
Top Bottom