IS MY CHAMELEON HEALTHY ?

Lucas_Rosario

Hi I recently purchased a veild chameleon and I’ve been doing my absolute best to keep him as healthy as possible but I am alittle skeptical about his condition. Could I get some feedback on how is my husbandry and overall condition of my veild chameleon. Thank you so much :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 148
At first glance he looks pretty good. I think some improvements can be made in his enclosure, specifically the size IMO.

Fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

At first glance he looks pretty good. I think some improvements can be made in his enclosure, specifically the size IMO.

Fill this out:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? MALE VEILD CHAMELEON, 2 months, since 3 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not regularly, here and there he will want to come out and I think that has something to do with the size of the enclosure but I do have a 24x24x48 cage coming in soon so hopefully that is better
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him horn worms, crickets, super worms and Dubia roaches inside of a feeder bowl along with some cucumber and carrots, I once or twice a day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Currently I am only using repti calcium w/o d3 but soon to be getting multi vitamin and supplements with d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist 2-3 time a day and use a little dripper that drips onto a fake plant that waterfalls to a bucket at the bottom, I see him drink about 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested for parasites but I do check under his arm and tail and there’s no signs of parasites, his colors on a regular are bright blue/teal green and brown, yellow sometimes a solid green
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure if 10.0 uvb is too strong for my enclosure

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 18x18x36 which is too small for him right now but a bigger one is on the way
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using reptisun 10.0 uvb light fixture and a reptisun 75w basking light
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a measure gun and during the day it’s high 80s and nights range to 50-60 degrees sometimes 40
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Using a mister, currently have nothing to measure humidity but I also created a towel wall around it to hold in moisture
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use fake plants specifically
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room to the far corner near my heater, my fan is normally on but across the room
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? NY it is currently 85 degrees
Thank you for your help :)

It’s done it’s at the top
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? MALE VEILD CHAMELEON, 2 months, since 3 weeks
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not regularly, here and there he will want to come out and I think that has something to do with the size of the enclosure but I do have a 24x24x48 cage coming in soon so hopefully that is better
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him horn worms, crickets, super worms and Dubia roaches inside of a feeder bowl along with some cucumber and carrots, I once or twice a day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Currently I am only using repti calcium w/o d3 but soon to be getting multi vitamin and supplements with d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist 2-3 time a day and use a little dripper that drips onto a fake plant that waterfalls to a bucket at the bottom, I see him drink about 3 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested for parasites but I do check under his arm and tail and there’s no signs of parasites, his colors on a regular are bright blue/teal green and brown, yellow sometimes a solid green
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure if 10.0 uvb is too strong for my enclosure

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 18x18x36 which is too small for him right now but a bigger one is on the way
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using reptisun 10.0 uvb light fixture and a reptisun 75w basking light
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a measure gun and during the day it’s high 80s and nights range to 50-60 degrees sometimes 40
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Using a mister, currently have nothing to measure humidity but I also created a towel wall around it to hold in moisture
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use fake plants specifically
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room to the far corner near my heater, my fan is normally on but across the room
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? NY it is currently 85 degrees

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
I am waiting to make sure @RyanBRZ is not already working on it. :) If he does not then I will give you feedback. We have a team approach here.

Chameleon Info:
Ok see my feedback in red bold. Let us know what questions you have.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? MALE VEILD CHAMELEON, 2 months, since 3 weeks You sure about the age?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not regularly, here and there he will want to come out and I think that has something to do with the size of the enclosure but I do have a 24x24x48 cage coming in soon so hopefully that is better perfect.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him horn worms, crickets, super worms and Dubia roaches inside of a feeder bowl along with some cucumber and carrots, I once or twice a day. No veg for your cham. They are insectivores. Their bodies do not handle veg and fruit well. How much are you feeding him? How are you gutloading? Should be fed once a day in the morning. great variety on feeders.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Currently I am only using repti calcium w/o d3 but soon to be getting multi vitamin and supplements with d3 I would buy Reptivite with D3 to add to your supplement routine. This would be the multivitamin with D3. It should be given 2 times a month every other week on say Saturday. Then at all other feedings he should get the calcium without D3 lightly dusted on all feeders.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist 2-3 time a day and use a little dripper that drips onto a fake plant that waterfalls to a bucket at the bottom, I see him drink about 3 times a day... Bucket is not something you want in there. You need a drainage tray. You can order one from Dragonstrand.com or DIY one.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested for parasites but I do check under his arm and tail and there’s no signs of parasites, his colors on a regular are bright blue/teal green and brown, yellow sometimes a solid green. Sooooo the parasites we worry about are internal. They come out in the fecal matter and it is too small to see. Fecals tell us if there is a parasite load. I advise all keepers get their cham tested.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure if 10.0 uvb is too strong for my enclosure. I will cover that under lighting.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using reptisun 10.0 uvb light fixture and a reptisun 75w basking light. Do you have a T8 or T5 fixture? Should say on the fixture or on the bulb. So this should be dropped back to a 5.0 bulb if it is a T5HO fixture and then you want the highest basking branch to be 9 inches below the fixture for the proper UVI level.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a measure gun and during the day it’s high 80s and nights range to 50-60 degrees sometimes 40.. Temp guns are good for surface temp only. You want to get a digital wired gauge to tie in at basking level. This will tell you your exact temp at basking. At his age you do not want this higher then 85. It gets down to 40 degrees in your house???? Typically below 50 degrees we recommend providing heating to the room. They do need a temp drop but 40 would be pushing it in my opinion.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Using a mister, currently have nothing to measure humidity but I also created a towel wall around it to hold in moisture.. So you need a Hygrometer... This is very important. put the probe where it will not be sprayed directly to get accurate readings. Veileds should have a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use fake plants specifically. Veileds will munch on their plants. Having fake ones puts him at risk for impaction if he eats them. You need live ones and toss all fake ones. See the Veiled tested plants at this link. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf Dragon ledges will help with mounting plants higher in the cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room to the far corner near my heater, my fan is normally on but across the room.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Ok see my feedback in red bold. Let us know what questions you have.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? MALE VEILD CHAMELEON, 2 months, since 3 weeks You sure about the age? I’m not 100% sure but believe about a couple months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not regularly, here and there he will want to come out and I think that has something to do with the size of the enclosure but I do have a 24x24x48 cage coming in soon so hopefully that is better perfect.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed him horn worms, crickets, super worms and Dubia roaches inside of a feeder bowl along with some cucumber and carrots, I once or twice a day. No veg for your cham. They are insectivores. Their bodies do not handle veg and fruit well. I don’t feed him directly fruits and veggies I gutload his feeders How much are you feeding him? Once or twice a day How are you gutloading? Put in a feeder cup outside of cage for a hour before feed, Should be fed once a day in the morning. great variety on feeders.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Currently I am only using repti calcium w/o d3 but soon to be getting multi vitamin and supplements with d3 I would buy Reptivite with D3 to add to your supplement routine. This would be the multivitamin with D3. It should be given 2 times a month every other week on say Saturday. Then at all other feedings he should get the calcium without D3 lightly dusted on all feeders. Sounds good will add to regular basis
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist 2-3 time a day and use a little dripper that drips onto a fake plant that waterfalls to a bucket at the bottom, I see him drink about 3 times a day... Bucket is not something you want in there. You need a drainage tray. You can order one from Dragonstrand.com or DIY one. Will order one right now. What would the problem of the bucket ?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never tested for parasites but I do check under his arm and tail and there’s no signs of parasites, his colors on a regular are bright blue/teal green and brown, yellow sometimes a solid green. Sooooo the parasites we worry about are internal. They come out in the fecal matter and it is too small to see. Fecals tell us if there is a parasite load. I advise all keepers get their cham tested. Will do
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure if 10.0 uvb is too strong for my enclosure. I will cover that under lighting.

Cage Info:

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Using reptisun 10.0 uvb light fixture and a reptisun 75w basking light. Do you have a T8 or T5 fixture? Should say on the fixture or on the bulb. So this should be dropped back to a 5.0 bulb if it is a T5HO fixture and then you want the highest basking branch to be 9 inches below the fixture for the proper UVI level.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I use a measure gun and during the day it’s high 80s and nights range to 50-60 degrees sometimes 40.. Temp guns are good for surface temp only. You want to get a digital wired gauge to tie in at basking level. This will tell you your exact temp at basking. At his age you do not want this higher then 85. It gets down to 40 degrees in your house???? Typically below 50 degrees we recommend providing heating to the room. They do need a temp drop but 40 would be pushing it in my opinion.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Using a mister, currently have nothing to measure humidity but I also created a towel wall around it to hold in moisture.. So you need a Hygrometer... This is very important. put the probe where it will not be sprayed directly to get accurate readings. Veileds should have a daytime humidity level of 30-50% max.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I use fake plants specifically. Veileds will munch on their plants. Having fake ones puts him at risk for impaction if he eats them. You need live ones and toss all fake ones. See the Veiled tested plants at this link. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf Dragon ledges will help with mounting plants higher in the cage.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is in my room to the far corner near my heater, my fan is normally on but across the room.

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

View attachment 271935View attachment 271936

Back
Top Bottom