Is my chameleon dying

You said..."After that appointment we gave him that food twice a day for over 3 months and he kept on getting worse. This time he didn't want to bask, eat, nor drink water"...when you give him the vet's food are you careful not to get it in his esophagus? Does he take it willingly? How do you give it to him?

You said..." I use artificial plants, and he has at least 2 places to hide when he is frightened
I use the 100w daylight blue zoo med bulb, and the reptile uvb 100 26w"...you should be using real (non-toxic well washed npboth sides of the leaves) plants cause veileds will try to eat fake ones and if he does he could get impacted. Does he poop?
Regarding the lights...coloured lights are not recommended...a regular household incandescent bulb is better. For UVB, is the bulb a long linear one or the spiral one or a bulb?

What color are the urates? Chameleons eyes will be sunken in for other reasons besides dehydration.

You said..."I mist him regularly 3 times a day and give him water once every 2 hours"...do you spray the water on his face? Does he get any in his esophagus?

What's the temperature in the spot he sits to bask in? If he no longer can sit in the basking spot, how will he stay warm? If you move the bulb to where he's sitting he may overheat if he's too weak to move.

He's showing at least one sigh of MBD....holding on to his front foot with his back foot. He needs phos free calcium at almost every feeding...he needs a phos free calcium with D3 lightly twice a month and vitamins with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A twice a month lightly. He may need a prEformed source of vitamin A once in a while.

What is the substrate in the cage?

Your chameleon doesn't have much time before he dies the way things are going so if you care about him you need to fix things fast and properly. A 12 year old should be able to do it with the help of a parent.

Good job improving, but this person is right you need to stop making excuses about doing other things because your chameleon will die if you do not take action right now.

You said..."After that appointment we gave him that food twice a day for over 3 months and he kept on getting worse. This time he didn't want to bask, eat, nor drink water"...when you give him the vet's food are you careful not to get it in his esophagus? Does he take it willingly? How do you give it to him?

You said..." I use artificial plants, and he has at least 2 places to hide when he is frightened
I use the 100w daylight blue zoo med bulb, and the reptile uvb 100 26w"...you should be using real (non-toxic well washed npboth sides of the leaves) plants cause veileds will try to eat fake ones and if he does he could get impacted. Does he poop?
Regarding the lights...coloured lights are not recommended...a regular household incandescent bulb is better. For UVB, is the bulb a long linear one or the spiral one or a bulb?

What color are the urates? Chameleons eyes will be sunken in for other reasons besides dehydration.

You said..."I mist him regularly 3 times a day and give him water once every 2 hours"...do you spray the water on his face? Does he get any in his esophagus?

What's the temperature in the spot he sits to bask in? If he no longer can sit in the basking spot, how will he stay warm? If you move the bulb to where he's sitting he may overheat if he's too weak to move.

He's showing at least one sigh of MBD....holding on to his front foot with his back foot. He needs phos free calcium at almost every feeding...he needs a phos free calcium with D3 lightly twice a month and vitamins with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A twice a month lightly. He may need a prEformed source of vitamin A once in a while.

What is the substrate in the cage?

Your chameleon doesn't have much time before he dies the way things are going so if you care about him you need to fix things fast and properly. A 12 year old should be able to do it with the help of a parent.
Why Phos free?

I know yall hate me but my cham died today. At the end he couldn't eat, drink water, nor keep his balance. I'm sorry I couldn't do anything. I know yall think that what I said was an excuse, but I really did try feeding him, and giving him water. I'm so sorry. I love my cham, Yoshi with all my heart. Thank You for all of the advise and I dont know what to say.

I know yall hate me but my cham died today. At the end he couldn't eat, drink water, nor keep his balance. I'm sorry I couldn't do anything. I know yall think that what I said was an excuse, but I really did try feeding him, and giving him water. I'm so sorry. I love my cham, Yoshi with all my heart. Thank You for all of the advise and I dont know what to say.
Dont be too hard on yourself, you did the right thing by reaching out for help, no one hates you, we are here to heko each other. Moving forward you will be more experienced and more knowlegable.

Im sorry for your loss. RIP Yoshie

No one hates you. I know you loved your little guy and tried your best. Unfortunately you just had bad info on how to properly keep him. If you choose to get another chameleon in the future, please come here for all the correct husbandry info so that you and cham have many healthy and happy years together.
I’m very sorry that Yoshi passed.

I agree! Nobody hates you! We are all friends on here. We help each other! I know he was special to you, and i am so sorry! ?

Last edited:
The truth is that the chameleon did not have what it needed to be healthy and survive. This is why it died. I would wait until you are older and school and soccer practice is no longer a priority. These are not easy or cheap animals. Once they start showing signs it is all downhill from there unless the proper changes and or vet care happen immediately. Not many days later.

This may seem harsh but it is the truth. Sugar coating this situation with condolences does nothing. You do not learn this way. Please do not rush into getting another chameleon. You have much to learn about their care prior to doing so or the next one will suffer the same fate as this one did.

Thank you, but I might have to wait a while to get another cham. I dont feel comfortable right now.
This is honestly the best answer sometimes. You don't feel comfortable because the outcome wasn't what you wanted, and I'm sure you feel somewhat responsible. It means you care... The truth is these guys and gals really do depend on us to live and thrive. They are a big responsibility. When you are ready... I'm sure with this attitude, you'll do great and have better results! Sorry for your loss...

We support each other! :D(y)

I’m so sorry. I just recently got on here with help with my cham, you did the right thing, I know because I am 12 too.

Back
Top Bottom