Is it Possible to use mini CFL's for basking?

Flabonsai

My temps have been running higher then I like over the past few days since the summer heat has kicked in full force. I was using a 40 watt regular bulb and then switched to a 25 watt fish aquarium bulb but it's still running in the high temp range in the afternoon. I have a few regular mini household cfl's that use 9 watts and are equivalent to 40 watts. The cfl's are soft white and are 600 lumens at 2700k. I just want to give my chams some light so they think it's like the regular basking light and that barley put off to much heat. Ive read a few years back that they where bad and were causing blindness in chams. Does anyone think that this bulb would be safe or should I not take a chance with the mini cfl's

Your regular UVB may be sufficient light (assuming this is a short term problem with your home temps). But yes you can use mini household CFLs. The UVB CFLs that were causing issues have pretty much been dealt with.

Your regular UVB may be sufficient light (assuming this is a short term problem with your home temps). But yes you can use mini household CFLs. The UVB CFLs that were causing issues have pretty much been dealt with.

Thank you for the response. The mini CFL's would only be temporary though the summer until it starts to cool back down. I just wanted to give them a little extra light with the CFL's with out the extra heat. Looks like in the future the only bulbs we will even be able to buy will be the CFL's as there phasing out the regular bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom