is it possible to eat too much?

Momma Lauren

I have a male veiled cham. I've had him for almost about a month and he's around 4 months old. I've been feeding him approx. 10 crickets a day around 7:30am. I've also tried introducing worms but he has no interest. (I haven't given up though)
The past week I've noticed that when I get home from work (around 5:30pm) he has cleared his cage of crickets. Not one cricket has been found and he seems to still be hungry. He walks around his cage lashing his tongue out at the leaves. It's almost like he's hoping to find some crickets hiding out.
Today I got curious and put 6 more crickets in his cage when I got home from work. It's only been 5 minutes and he's eaten almost all of them.
Can cham's eat too much? If so, how is it harmful?
My cham looks healthy. His poops are normal. Should I start feeding him some in the morning and some in the afternoon?
Any suggestions?

Unless your crickets are extra large 10 is not very many. Try giving him 12 to 15 and put out some veggies in his cage for later. Most male veileds love collard greens.

At four months old, you are safe to feed him as much as he can eat within about 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times per day. It is preferable, but not critical, that they have a couple hours to digest between last meal and lights out.

Overfeeding doesnt usually become an issue until they are over 8 months old

Unless your crickets are extra large 10 is not very many. Try giving him 12 to 15 and put out some veggies in his cage for later. Most male veileds love collard greens.

they are not extra large, he's too small to handle those, I think.
I have not tried veggies yet. I will try collard greens. Thanks :)

At four months old, you are safe to feed him as much as he can eat within about 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times per day. It is preferable, but not critical, that they have a couple hours to digest between last meal and lights out.

Overfeeding doesnt usually become an issue until they are over 8 months old

I will give him an hour or two to digest before I turn the lights out. It's 8:00pm now. I probably shouldn't have fed him so late :confused: I wasn't aware that they needed some light time to digest after feeding. Thanks for sharing.

I will give him an hour or two to digest before I turn the lights out. It's 8:00pm now. I probably shouldn't have fed him so late :confused: I wasn't aware that they needed some light time to digest after feeding. Thanks for sharing.

Dont worry over much about it. Its not going to do harm if the lights go out before the 2 hour window elapses today. Just aim for morning and afternoon rather than evening feedings as a general plan

Back
Top Bottom