Is it possible to drill holes into a Reptibreeze frame?

I drill three holes in the top sides of my cages and use them to hand the plastic sheeting that is the framework for my plant pots. I have never drilled in the side pieces or made more holes than that. I also loop the regular sip ties up and over the not drilled frame as well for support. Now that I have these new zip ties I will use them instead.
Got a pic or a dwg of that method that I can add to my library of support solutions?

Looks Like a belt I used to have... :oops:

Drilling too many holes in a thin frame can be problematical. Fortunately, there are other solutions for supporting branches, dowels, & plants.
wooden dowels, vinyl lattice, goat wire fencing, ceiling egg crate, square tomato cage, etc.

Thin-framed enclosures can also be beefed up with aluminum angles attached to the outsides of the corners (be careful not to interfere with the door(s) opening!)

is this to say I shouldn’t drill any holes into the sides of the cage’s frame? I’m considering using self tapping screws with washers over zip ties to attach my make-shift ledges.

is this to say I shouldn’t drill any holes into the sides of the cage’s frame? I’m considering using self tapping screws with washers over zip ties to attach my make-shift ledges.
It's to say, it's been a while since I've seen a Reptibreeze enclosure in-person, but if they're as flimsy as folks say, I'd say... (drum roll...) it depends! (rim shot) :eek:

If one drills too many—or too large—holes too close together, it could affect the integrity (strength) of the frame, causing it to fail (buckle).

Screw size, number of holes, size of holes, condition of frame, load on the frame, yadda, yadda, yadda... are all variables. In some cases I'd go ahead and drill; in other cases I wouldn't—or I'd reinforce, or use another method. 🤷‍♂️

It's to say, it's been a while since I've seen a Reptibreeze enclosure in-person, but if they're as flimsy as folks say, I'd say... (drum roll...) it depends! (rim shot) :eek:

If one drills too many—or too large—holes too close together, it could affect the integrity (strength) of the frame, causing it to fail (buckle).

Screw size, number of holes, size of holes, condition of frame, load on the frame, yadda, yadda, yadda... are all variables. In some cases I'd go ahead and drill; in other cases I wouldn't—or I'd reinforce, or use another method. 🤷‍♂️

it shouldn’t be this hard 😂 or perhaps I simply should have ordered some dragon ledges. Let’s use goat wire as an example (which I think is a really great idea, by the way!). If used within a screen cage whose integrity you were unsure of, would you mount or screw in the goat wire from the top frame of the cage?

I’ll be honest here. When I said I’d be Okie-rigging plant and branch mounting ledges, I meant it! I found individual garden fence panels, pretty similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Amagabeli-Decorative-Garden-Rustproof-Ornamental/dp/B06W54K9N2

What I linked to isn’t the exact garden fence panels I bought. The ones I found were single pieces, not interlocked (and cost a lot less). I got 4 of them, zip tied two together and they fit perfectly within the aluminum cage frame. Zip tied along the top and bottom of the two tied together garden panels are 7/8” dowels to attach plants and branches to. Uh, not sure if this description makes any sense, but my intention was to drill at least two holes into the sides of the cage frame, thread zip ties through the holes and secure the panels in place.

it shouldn’t be this hard 😂 or perhaps I simply should have ordered some dragon ledges.
DL aren't all they're cracked up to be either.

Let’s use goat wire as an example (which I think is a really great idea, by the way!). If used within a screen cage whose integrity you were unsure of, would you mount or screw in the goat wire from the top frame of the cage?
Without hands-on, I'd only be speculating. Might even try to make it free-standing.

I’ll be honest here. When I said I’d be Okie-rigging plant and branch mounting ledges, I meant it!
Your earlier use was the first time I'd heard that expression!
1626191170638.png
I think we've got a few of those in the garage! :LOL:

What I linked to isn’t the exact garden fence panels I bought. The ones I found were single pieces, not interlocked (and cost a lot less). I got 4 of them, zip tied two together and they fit perfectly within the aluminum cage frame. Zip tied along the top and bottom of the two tied together garden panels are 7/8” dowels to attach plants and branches to. Uh, not sure if this description makes any sense, but my intention was to drill at least two holes into the sides of the cage frame, thread zip ties through the holes and secure the panels in place.
I think I'm following that. Two holes in each side or all together? I think it could be done with one hole each side, and using a strong wire or fishing line wouldn't need as big a hole.
Just spitballin'.

I don’t know, the frames on these reptibreeze cages are really thin and I’m afraid all this weight on them isn’t going to hold.

good to know! I still don’t officially have my Reptibreeze set up yet. Plans changed and I won’t be getting a cham until late October - early November or so. Is yours wobbly?

I mean the reptibreeze are great enclosures and mine is fine. I just know the metal frames are not very thick and I see a lot of people hanging stuff from them or adding some home made dragon ledges or even the real dragon ledges and Ive been thinking about it and I just wonder how long the frames can really stand up under the weight of this stuff. I have just stuffed mine full of plants but I put them on top of upside down plant pots so they’re not hanging from the frame. I think mine looks fine and I feel that it will last better this way. Maybe the ones that have pots and stuff hanging in them will as well. I just don’t know. Maybe you all that have done that can tell me how long yours have lasted under the weight.

The only weight I have on the frame (DS enclosure) is the lights on top, and it distorts the frame as it is. I wouldn't dare hang any weight on the ledges; my pots are all on the floor & upside down pots like yours.

I tried suspending a pot from the ledges and it nearly tore a hole through the sidewall. The most I can use those ledges for is a few sticks/dowels.

Each of my constructs hold one 6 inch and one or two 4 inch pots. Most of my cages are Exo Terra but they aren't any sturdier than the Reptibreeze. Clearly you can't do larger pots or big trees this way.

The only weight I have on the frame (DS enclosure) is the lights on top, and it distorts the frame as it is. I wouldn't dare hang any weight on the ledges; my pots are all on the floor & upside down pots like yours.

I tried suspending a pot from the ledges and it nearly tore a hole through the sidewall. The most I can use those ledges for is a few sticks/dowels.

Yikes, about how large was the pot? This has me seriously re-thinking how I’ll be hanging vining plants from the sides of my enclosure.. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom